Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Senate Democrats block Pope resolution
    A bi-partisan resolution sponsored by Kansas Republican Sen .Sam Brownback and Penn. Dem Sen.Bob Casey to recognize the Pope during his US visit was blocked by a Dem .Senator who evidently objected to the language of some parts of the resolution .

here is the text :
    http://www.amconmag.com/blog/wp-cont.../04/sr-b16.pdf

although it is unclear which particular turn of phrase was objectionable my guess is that it was either one of two or both of these paragraphs:

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has spoken approvingly of the
    vibrance of religious faith in the United States, a faith
    nourished by a constitutional commitment to religious liberty
    that neither attempts to strip our public spaces of
    religious expression nor denies the ultimate source of our
    rights and liberties;
    Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has spoken out for the weak and
    vulnerable, witnessing to the value of every
    human life.
    supposedly the resolution will go forward after the offensive language is removed .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Hehe, the pope didn't even want to attend a white house dinner in his honour:
    The Raw Story | Pope won't break bread with Bush
    He's quite perceptive.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 07:08 AM
    That's OK . Clearly the dinner was held to schmooze all the Catholic politicos in Washington more so than to honor the Pope.Can you detail the last time the Pope was present at big opulent state dinners to honor him ? I don't think you can. That is not really his thing. In fact ;I can't recall any Pope doing that except perhaps as a host to the homeless .In that case Pope JPII served the dinner himself .

And despite the claim to the contrary;the Pope did have more important things to do .He was meeting with the US Bishops and taking them to task .
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Even I find this ridiculous. I assume also it is the part that Tom Quoted. I guess the he doesn't like how it says "nor denies the ultimate source of our rights and liberties" I guess he interprets this as saying our rights and liberties our given to us by God. I don't believe in God and I don't care that resolution says that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Bob Casey cannot be happy with his fellow Dems . Having this resolution blocked over such trivia. Also I think the bigger issue might have been the 2nd paragraph and it's not so subtle anti-abortion message.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Update :

Politico says it was Sen.Boxer who objected and blocked the resolution . It has since been altered .

The Crypt's Blog - Politico.com
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Ah abortion. People say I have a weird stance on abortion. If I ever got a someone pregnant and they wanted to have an abortion I would do everything in my power to stop them. But I am pro choice. I would never stop anyone I wasn't involved with in getting an abortion. Strange right.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
    From the Politico article you linked to:

Boxer's spokeswoman Natalie Ravitz has written The Crypt to say "we are very pleased we were able to reach an agreement with Senator Brownback to remove the political language and pass this resolution welcoming Pope Benedict."

"Senator Brownback also agreed to remove the political language referencing religious expression on public buildings," Ravitz said in an email.
    I love how it's 'political' to recognize the value of life, even in a resolution honoring the Pope.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    having this resolution blocked over such trivia. Also I think the bigger issue might have been the 2nd paragraph and it's not so subtle anti-abortion message....

“the vibrance of religious faith in the United States, a faith nourished by a constitutional commitment to religious liberty that neither attempts to strip our public spaces of religious expression nor denies the ultimate source of our rights and liberties.”
    Hello tom:

I have no trouble with the Pope thinking all life is sacrosanct.

I DO have a problem with the righty's misstating the Constitution, though. I know you think it's trivial. Wrongwingers like you always call the Constitution trivial or a technicality when you don't agree with it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 01:22 PM
    I can't help it if you continue to insist that the 1st amendment prohibits religious expression in the public square... it does not . As far as the ultimate source of our rights and liberites; well,wasn't it you who recently quoted the Declaration of Independence ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am. Government congress and the senate [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: :cool: I have a couple of questions I could not find the answers to The fact that the senate has been called into special session 46 times, while the house has never been called into special session is a reflection of a) the undemocratic nature of the senate b) special powers the...

Congress and senate votes. [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website to see how congress and senate cast there votes?State politicians also.

7 dwarfs and he pope [ 1 Answers ]

The 7 dwarfs are in the vatican visiting the pope. The pope turns rto them and says, so do u have any questions for me? They huddle together shyly going go on! Go on dopey! Ask him! Ask him! So dopey asks, sir, do u have churches in antartica? He says yes my son... go on sk him ask him, sir do they...

View more questions Search