Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbryant2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Child wants to change residency to live with noncustodial parent
    My daughter was living with me in Arizona when her father petitioned a California court for custody and won. Now she is 16 visiting me in Arizona states that she does not want to return to her father in California. She wants to stay in Arizona with me what can I do she is supposed to go back tomorrow?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. When her father petitioned and won, what was going on and how long ago?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 07:38 PM
    She has to go back. You can petition the court and ask for custody to be changed to you. You can call the father and ask him to let her stay,
    But if the court order says she goes back and she does not, he can take you back to court to be held in contempt of the court order
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbryant2008
    my daughter was living with me in arizona when her father petitioned a california court for custody and won. Now she is 16 visiting me in arizona states that she does not want to return to her father in california. she wants to stay in arizona with me what can i do she is supposed to go back tomorrow?

She has to go back or you will be in contempt - you would have to Petition the Court for a change in custody (in California).

A lot will depend on how old the standing Order is and why the father was awarded custody the last time around.

At 16 the Court will at least listen to her wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About a noncustodial parent [ 7 Answers ]

My name is brandy and I am the custodial parent an dmy son is a month old and me and his father is not together any more and I do not work and nor do he and I don't want to be bother with him because he's very disrespectful and I will like to take him to court and give him visitation rights and...

At what age could a child request to live with a specific parent? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and his ex-wife share custody with their two children. (a 9 year old daughter and a 12 year old son) The children really prefer living in our home which involves a much more stable and routine environment. At what age might they request to live with us on more of a "full time" basis? ...

Paternal rights for noncustodial parent [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 22 yrs old and have a year and a half yr old daughter. Her father and I dated for sometime but are no longer together and don't speak either. His name isn't on the birth certificate and he has only seen her once when she was four months old. Does he have any rights?? Once paternity is...

Child lives with noncustodial parent do I have rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has been staying with her father for 4 years,he has a court order to pay child support.He is taking me to court for custody of her.I recently moved into a larger home with my boyfriend so I have room now.The new wife he has has smacked her in the face twice and threw her out (12 years...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search