Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoops Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 11:30 PM
    11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks?
    I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage.

I am waiting on the HCG (?) blood work. I have done a lot of research about this and I have read others experiences of missed miscarriage but never one 4-5 weeks old. Does anyone know if the baby is not alive and has not been for 4-5 weeks if there are any complications in regards to infection or why I have not miscarried yet? Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Can I offer a more personal than medical answer?

You are right to be prepared for less than good news... but don't expect it. Please don't stress over it now. Wait for the results. The HCG results may be positive and you may end up being reassured that your baby is healthy and growing normally. I hope that your doctor encouraged you the same.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
    I agree... it's not worth the worry. Although, it is easy to say, and VERY hard to do. I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, and went through a scary period earlier on in the pregnancy. Everything is okay for me now, but it was very frightening having to wait. Hopefully they will be as quick as they can in giving you the results... I will be thinking of you! Let us know what happens.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 16, 2006, 12:13 AM
    Hoops, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The only way your going to know for sure if the baby is alive or if you've had a miscarriage is from the test results of the HCG. The HCG blood test will tell whether it's a small fetus or an incompetent pregnancy. I'm sure the doctor will answer all your questions when you go see him/her for the test results.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
    And always get a second opinion.

We have a wonderful 5 year old running around the house, her doctor, one of the best in Atlatna GA, picture and name in all the major publications, wrote papers for the medical society, well he told my wife and I that it was not a valid pregnancy, and that he needed to do a D/C since it was not a living fetus.

Well my wife freaked, so I had her go see another doctor, who said everything was fine, and yep, we had a healthy boy.

Had we let the other doctor do the D/C the baby would have been killed.

So never do anything without a second opinion.
    hartleyclan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I hope everything turned out OK for you.

I just wanted to add that, while now adays it is rare to have a misses miscarriage older than 4-5 weeks, it is not impossible. My mother had a missed miscarriage at 6 weeks, but didn't know about it until she was "5 months" pregnant. This was back in the days before advanced ultrasound technology -- and she had to have the embryo surgically removed at that point. It was extremely traumatic.

Modern medicine has certainly come a long way.
    kpangor Posts: 357, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 05:37 PM

hoops, don't want to scare u but if u think u supposed to be 11 weeks and the ultra sound shows tha the baby is 6 weeks it might be tha the baby died and they need to surgically remove the fetus from u[from personel experience] but then again u never know there is miracles.. my best wishes to you
    janiene2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Did you loose the Baby
    alisitasi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Hi this happened to me I was 12 weeks pregnant went for U/S was told featus had stopped growing at 6 weeks had to have D&C next day. Was gutted but thankfully at 45 was blessed again with healthy uncomplicated pregnancy of longed for daughter. Do no despair there was nothing wrong with my uterus it is one of those freak things but in hindsight Dr. had prescribed strong antibiotics at 6 weeks so we believe this could have been the cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 weeks [ 24 Answers ]

I don't know if this qualifies as a question since I'm just updating everyone about how things are coming along... lol.. Hopefully all this might help someone else at some point in time... I just got back from my 30 week appt. and everything is much better than it was last week. I did get an...

12 weeks along [ 20 Answers ]

Well I haven't been on recently. I've been working a lot and been really tired. I went to my dr. appt today and heart the babies heartbeat. It sounded so far away... lol... He said that my uterus was big for just 12 weeks and ordered an ultra sound. He said that there were three reasons that this...

5 weeks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first pregnancy. I found out that I am 5 weeks, (3 weeks Gestation) Does that mean I am already in my 2nd month? Or when do I officially begin my 2nd month? Im kind of confused! Kellie

5 weeks maybe? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I'm pg or not I took at test on the 17th but it was negative so I'm going to take one this week { I have early pg signes} if I am pg I'm 5wks this week and it seems that my boobs are getting bigger one more then the other at the moment lol and my tummy seems bigger to?...

View more questions Search