Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Adding pergola to existing deck
    I have a 12' x 16' deck. Construction is 2x10 ledger attached to house and two 2x10 beams sandwiched around three 6x6 posts (posts are set in concrete piers 4' deep). The beams are set in (cantilevered) about 15" from the outside edge of the deck. The joists are 16" on center and are 2x8's. Standard 5/4" decking for the surface.

I'd like to add a pergola to cover the deck and have some design questions about how to intergrate it safely.

Where can I attach the outer posts (those away from the house) to support the pergola? Do they have to be on top of the beams of the deck (which would set them about 15" into the deck surface)? Or, could I attach them to the outside of the 2x8 fascia board with lag bolts? Or, could I set them on the deck surface centered on a joist?

I'm not sure what a pergola would weigh and how that load would be spread on the deck. I figure I could use a ledger on the house to support one side of the pergola and 3 or 4 posts on the outside of the pergola which is the basis for the questions above.

Thanks for any advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Augy, you have had 25 reads but no responses. I think we might be able to help if you attach some pics or diagrams/plans.

Apr 18, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Here is a picture and a rough drawing (CAD) that depicts the way it's put together. If something isn't clear, let me know. In the CAD drawing the end away from the posts is the ledger (attached to house) and the 5/4" decking boards are not shown.
    Attached Images

Apr 20, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Anyone?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Replace the corner and center railing post with the pergola post using through bolts. The weight of the pergola will only be the weight of the material itself. If you would like, you could add angle brackets underneath the deck where the deck joist and the band board meet to increase the sheer strength of the band board fasteners.

Apr 21, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Replace the corner and center railing post with the pergola post using thru bolts. The weight of the pergola will only be the weight of the material itself. If you would like, you could add angle brackets underneath the deck where the deck joist and the band board meet to increase the sheer strength of the band board fasteners.
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I would be able to utilize the railing posts as you suggest. I had considered using 4 of them to create 3 "window" areas for either lattice or blinds.

Thanks again, I'll plan to shore up the band board to joists with some angle brackets just to add some extra strength.
    ARTBEAU3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 06:44 AM
    I just covered a deck like yours w/ a hip roof w/a raised secondary roof to allow air to escape it turned out beautiful lots of shade and lower electric bill I will now paint and install 2 ceiling fans good luck art
    dprice5880 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 08:38 PM
    Augy, I am curious if you got your pergola completed... If so, could you post some pics? I am considering the same project.

Thanks,
    DP
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2010, 08:47 PM

I'm not sure if I would just replace the end posts for the pergola support. They are just lagged into the side. Personally I would want the pergola posts centered directly over a joist. This way the load continues directly through the structure and into the concrete.
    mcghee100 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 06:11 AM
    I'm considering the same project, however, my deck is 16x12 and is approximately 18" from the ground.

Ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a new dimmer next to an existing one. [ 2 Answers ]

I successfully installed a dimmer switch in a dinning area however, I have added additional lighting over the bar area next to it. I installed a new dimmer for the new lights by tapping into the top set of wires in the wall wires and now both dimmers are working on both lighted areas. Would you...

Adding Shower to Existing Tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and just bought our first home, actually, we're closing on it this Nov. 29th, and our first project involves installing a shower head. The home we purchased is over fifty years old, and the woman who was living in it, only had a tub and faucet. So, we'll need to add plumbing to...

Adding Breakers to Existing Box [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement in a large 8 year old home. We've added about 1500 sq feet in the basement and 5-6 new circuits. The breaker box, and a sub panel are full, with several mini breakers. We've been told that as part of the final electrical inspection a "load analysis" will be done....

Adding a heater to an existing circuit. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the...

View more questions Search