Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Income from elected position
    Elected Mayor of small town receives "pay". It is more than $1000 per year, and is broken into 2 pmts per year. Should it be reported on a W2 or a 1099 misc and WHY?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Ok. I am not the Atlanta Tax Expert, but I just did a quick search about what those 2 forms are.

W2 - from employer to employee
    1099 - seems to be for independent contractors.

So, therefore, as Mayor, that is an employee. So I would think a W2.

I should note that I might be wrong.

And congratulations on being elected Mayor!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 07:20 PM
    It is best reported on a W2 since he is employeed by the city ( even if elected he is still paid)

Was taxes withheld, social security taxes paid, all of this should have been done and all shown on the form.

In some cases I have seen non paid firemen and police officers who get only small sums to cover expenses of their jobs, they were given 1099 because they were not actually employed as paid, but only receiving funds to cover expenses of "helping out"
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Fr. Chuck's citation about payments to volunteer police and firemen is accurate. However, I gree with his assessment that the mayor is an employee and should get a W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Flexible ducts position [ 1 Answers ]

I have flexible AC ducts in my attic that just lay across the floor of the attic. Should these ducts actually be suspended in the air or does it really matter?

Sub Panel with a main in Position 2,4, 6 [ 2 Answers ]

My question concerns panel boards where the main breaker takes up two or three positions on the panel board. If I use a main in position 2,4,6 the corresponding positions 1,3,5 have to be left blank according to code.

Entry level position [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a senior undergraduate bio major and I'm looking for an entry level position at a hospital after I graduate in the spring to gain more experience in patient care. In about a year I hope to go on to a master's physician's assistant school. Do you know of any positions where you don't need more...

View more questions Search