Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mymuffin1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Collecting on my exhusbands pension
    My husband was able to retire and collect his pension immediately last year but now is refusing to retire is their anything I can do to receive my share?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 17, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Is there anything in the divorce decree that allows you access to his pension?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 09:22 AM
    If it was not specifically addressed in your divorce settlement that you are entitled to a certain portion of his pension - then you are out of luck trying to collect it. The fact that he does not retire is irrelevant. He can retire when he wants to. And if he does not retire, then you cannot force the man to retire.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mymuffin1
    My husband was able to retire and collect his pension immediatley last year but now is refusing to retire is their anything I can do to receive my share?
    What, or how much, is your share?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mymuffin1
    My husband was able to retire and collect his pension immediatley last year but now is refusing to retire is their anything I can do to receive my share?

You aren't automatically entitled to his pension - what does your divorce decree say about it?
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Until he retires chances are you won't get a dime... My aunt and uncle divorced 15 years ago... the divorce papers give her 50% of pension after he retires... he worked for the Chicago North Western railroad for 40 years... he is 75 years old now... he stopped working the rails at 65... he did not retire, he became a consultant and teaches classes a couple times a week. My aunt still can not collect, and won't until he officially retires... which he says he will not do until he can no longer walk. His pension is over $4,000.00 per month, his salary now is $4,500.00 per month with full benefits. He was an engineer for over 30 years... BTW... he is my favorite uncle. LOL
    Sorry to say... there may be nothing you can do.
    Mike
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 04:54 AM
    [QUOTE=the1unv]until he retires chances are you won't get a dime... My aunt and uncle divorced 15 years ago... the divorce papers give her 50% of pension after he retires... he worked for the Chicago North Western railroad for 40 years... he is 75 years old now... he stopped working the rails at 65... he did not retire, he became a consultant and teaches classes a couple times a week. My aunt still can not collect, and won't until he officially retires... which he says he will not do until he can no longer walk. His pension is over $4,000.00 per month, his salary now is $4,500.00 per month with full benefits. He was an engineer for over 30 years... BTW... he is my favorite uncle. LOL
    Sorry to say... there may be nothing you can do.

Wonder if your aunt could go back into Court and make an argument that he's circumventing the Court Order - ?

I don't see Decrees addressing pension rights in this manner UNLESS the party is already collecting a pension - I see X Dollars a month, which is half of the pension, but no words tieing that amount to the pension. This must be the reason -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign pension [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to claim as income money that you receive from a foreign country from a pension?

Her pension vs no pension [ 1 Answers ]

My friends is getting divorced and being sued for infidelity. His wife has a great teachers pension. What percent do you think he may be entitled to. The point is they have 2 houses and land, but she is the bread winner. He wants to keep the primary home. They live in NY. I doubt the charge...

Ever get tired of collecting what you have been collecting? [ 14 Answers ]

I know a lot of people with collections, from baseball cards, bunnies, pins, hats and so on. Well my question is, does anyone ever just completely stop collecting what they have been collecting for many years cause they are bored of it? I collect chickens and roosters, around 200 or so now. They...

Pension expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is this the correct way to determine pension expense? Service cost + interest cost - actual return on plan assets

View more questions Search