Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigerbound2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Bank account garnishment
    My wife has some whoppers. ONe for around 10k and one for around 5k. I have a small credit card debt of $500. At what level can our bank account be garnished and should I take her name off our joint account?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 07:32 AM
    When you say whoppers, do you mean open accounts or judgments?

If already to the judgment stage, 30 days after the judgment they can begin to levy bank accounts and start garnishment of wages.

As a married couple, you joint bank account could be succeptable, the laws vary by State so you should check for your specific location.

Also, if judgment in place, they can put a lien on any property that she is listed as an owner and in the most dramatic cases, they could levy personal property to be sold at auction though it is not as common as it once was.

If not to judgment yet, she should do her best to keep from going to court, communicate with the lenders and try to set up payment arrangements without the legal mess.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Bank account garnishment [ 15 Answers ]

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? I need info on bank account garnishment laws... FAST! All of my accounts were cleaned out and even overdrafted yesterday, worst of all my husband and I had just deposited everything and mailed out checks to pay bills. We did not even know there was to be a garnishment. Is...

Garnishment of bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have Social security disability benefits, and my teacher disability benefits direct deposited into my checking account. Sometimes I deposit other checks in there too. Can my bank account be frozen?

Bank account garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I had my bank account garnished because of a judgement.The judge released it because my income is from social security.I have since added my daugther on my account. Will that stop them from trying to garnish it again

Bank account garnishment [ 7 Answers ]

I have a garnishment against my personal bank account that has nothing to do with child support, alimony/maintenance or taxes. In reading I found that there are exemptions I can file on the money in this account. I live in Clay County, Missouri and the papers I received from the Sheriff's Office...

View more questions Search