Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Dog/cat interaction
    I just want to put this out there for anyone who has animals that you despair about ever getting along together.

I adopted a greyhound about 10 months ago. Brought her into a household with two resident cats. The cats were less than thrilled, to put it mildly. One avoided the dog as much as possible, the other constantly attacked her. Six months later, the one cat was willing to hang out in the same room, far from the dog, and the second cat was only occasionally hiss-swatting at the dog. And now, a full 10 months later, they are almost friends. No hissing, no swatting. They are willing to come up and sniff noses (and other parts!), and the cats will even curl up in my lap while I am petting the dog, and think nothing of jumping off the sofa and landing right in front of her nose. They are still a little uncomfortable being close (mostly on the dog's part... she's very non-dominant), and if the cat gets too close for too long, the dog will find something fascinating a few feet away to go look at. But give it several more months, and maybe, just maybe, they will be able to curl up together.

6 months ago, I thought that an uneasy truce was the best I was going to get. The one piece of advice that seemed to make the biggest difference in how the pets get along was "sit on the floor". Lots of sitting on the floor, petting a dog with one hand and a cat with the other. Apparently they now associate good things with each other. :) So all you other people wondering if your pets will ever get along... it is possible. But it may take a lot longer than you expect.

Check out some similar questions!

Sociology of interaction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi What do you understand by the sociology of interaction and how does it contribute to our understanding of communication Thanks.

Interaction [ 7 Answers ]

That what bothers u the most on the people u interact with, is in fact your own "fault". How far do u agree or disagree with the statement?

Socilogy of interaction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi What do you understand by the sociology of interaction and how does it contribute to our understanding of communication Thanks.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search