Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katalina_O Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Can I cancel a car loan?
    I have been paying the car for about 3 years now, however I want to get rid of it. Is it possible to cancel the loan if I sell the car? I do have a title but I am not sure what to do, please advice.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Welcome to AMHD, where you can read, write, and enjoy a lot. Just curious: You are presently making payments on a car? You have the title to the car? When did you purchase the car? How much did you borrow? When did you receive the title? How much do you owe? How much is the car worth?
    SBU Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2008, 02:49 PM
    If you pay it off you can. If you sell it and there is still a balance on the loan you still owe that money. Remember, you signed an agreement that you would pay it back, you can't just cancel an obligation because you don't want it anymore.
    katalina_O Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Yes I have a title of the car. I have been paying for 3 years and under the contract I have 3 more to go. Right now the car is worth about 17,000 or so. I was thinking about delling it and giving back the money to the bank. It just that I'm not sure if I can do this?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 09:52 AM
    You have to pay off the loan by either sale proceeds or coming up with the difference; the lien will be satisfied and you can convey a good, clear title to the purchaser.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Normally if you have the title, it will list the bank on it as the lien holder, this is normal in many US states. So the title is not clear and the ownership can not be transferred to the new owner unless it is signed off by the bank also.

So to sell the car you have to sell it for more than the loan or at least the same amount, and pay the loan off when you sell the car

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I cancel my warranty [ 2 Answers ]

An Oregon dealer had me sign papers that I had to buy all kind of warranties when I bought my car. They said that since the profit of sale was low I can't cancel such warranties. Is this legal?

When can LL cancel lease? [ 6 Answers ]

View more questions Search