Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tede Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Don't mess with hidden folders on local disk
    Any computer forensics people out there? How do you find a folder when the search feature can't find it? The folder must be on the disk. When I attempt to create a new folder, with the same name, the OS disallows it - because a folder with that name already exists. This issue ( and others) started after I manipulated the hidden folders, on the local disk c:, in Windows Explorer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
    In Windows Explorer use Tools>Folder Otpions to display hidden fiiles and folders.

Feb 14, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Scott: Your answer didn't help at all.
    I'll rephrase the question. I lost all the files and folders, in My Documents. I'm attempting to regain those that were not backed up. When I search for a folder, its not there. When I create a new folder, with the same name as the lost folder, a message appears that this folder name already exists. So, why doesn't a search find it? I caused the problem. In Windows Explorer, I highlighted Local Disk (C:). The right side of the screen displays a caution. These folders are hidden, because fooling with them can upset the OS. I did it anyway, and lost all the info in My Documents. So, is there anyway to retrieve my info, before I reinstall the OS (there are also other issues that weren't fixed, when I ran repair from the Windows XP Pro CD)

Feb 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
    Yes, by default, when you open the C drive it displays that caution instead of the file and folder list. I've elected to show those files and never had a problem. I'm not sure exactly what you did there, but the data should still be there.

Can you explain exactly what you did?

Feb 14, 2006, 10:18 PM
    With the hidden files now shown, in the right hand pane, I intended to open the "Documents and Settings" folder by double clicking on it. Instead, I inadvertently drug this icon over the icon below it (Liberty Basic) and released the mouse button.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 03:11 AM
    That would have done nothing. It is not possible to move the Document & Settings folder. If you try and drag & drop the folder elsewhere it gives you a warning.

What Scott told you is correct. Doing that will show any hidden folders in you're my Documents folder. If upon opening the folder the files still aren't shown - then they really aren't there. How did you lose all these files in the first place?

On a quick note, when doing a search expand the advanced options and ensure that "Search subfolders", "Search hidden files & folders" and "Search System folders" are checked to ensure you are not missing anything in the search.

Feb 15, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Did you look in the Liberty Basic folder for it? I would have thought, like LT that it couldn't be dragged and dropped (it can be moved by a complex process involving editing the Registry). But who knows. Even if it was moved, if you go to My Documents you should see everything there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Local Disk (C:) Properties [ 2 Answers ]

When I click on my Local Dick (C:) Properties and go to Tools, and then: check Automatically fix file system errors: I always get this message: The disk check could not be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained. Do you want to schedule this disk ckeck to occur the...

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I really thought that way. But when I check the contents of the remaining local disk it is still the same. I mean before I formatted the contents of d:\ drive is 18.6 GB and the C:\ drive is 7.8 MB after formatting, I really don't know where did the 7.8 MB contents of C:\ drive goes,...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly help, My laptop has 2 local disk c:\ and D:\ how can I make it just one. My C:\ DRIVE has a 7.8 MB free space I want to transfer it to D:\ DRIVE who has A 18.5 MB free space. Your Kind help is very much appreaciated. Br, Yolly

User can't access his local hard disk? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I've a Server running Wind2003, and some computer clients connected to it. I've used the OU to deploy some software packages to the users (published), the user can see the software package in the Add/Remove Software, but when he/she starts to install the package on his computer the...

View more questions Search