Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rebbe11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
    How to change my marital status on my Leave and Earning Statement!
    How do I change my marital status on a W-4? My-pay, my payroll office, or the W-4 itself does not prompt me on the change. I have joint custody of my children and I claim 1 every year on my state and federal. I'm doing everything correctly but I cannot make the change on the marital status to single! My federal reflects single. Is this an issue or not. Does the state tax automatically default to marital status since I have joint custody? Or the fact that I claim my son? Please help! State of Illinois...
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
    On the tax return you must report the correct marital status. For that purpose, it does not matter what is mentioned on your W4.

You submit W4 to your employer to guide how much taxes they should deduct from your paycheck. You can always submit a new (up dated) W4.
    Here is the url Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing W4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes - Abroad and change in marital status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I lived and worked in Seattle until July 2007, and then moved to Brussels to marry. I still have residence in the US, and have to file my 2007 taxes. 1 - do I need to change my W-2 with my 2007 employer? 2 - should I file joint or separate? My husband had income in Belgium in 2007 3...

Prepare income statement and retained earning statement [ 1 Answers ]

The following information was taken from the 2004 financial statement of pharmecutical giant Merck and CO. All dollar amounts are in millions. Retained earnings, January 1, 2004 34,142.0 Materials and production expense 4,959.8 Marketing and administrative expense 7,346.3 Dividends 3,329.1...

Change of Marital Status on a Deed [ 13 Answers ]

In a previous joint ownership of a home, the relationship was as a married couple. Now it is own by the same two people, but as individuals. How can this be changed? Does this effect the guaranteed title?

Can I be forced to leave the marital home [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has left our home with our two sons and is now living with her mother. She told me that she wants me to leave the home, so she can move back in with our children and also wants me to continue to pay the mortgage and all the bills. She is not working and never has since our children were...

How to change the Taxable Marital Status in W-2 (from MARRIED to SINGLE)? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Friend, Thanks for looking into my query. Your help is much appreicated. I came to US on Jan 2006. I was married but my family didn't came with me (joined w/ me this Feb 2007) and I remember that I filed the W-4 with the marital status MARRIED. Now when I tried to file the tax online (w/...

View more questions Search