Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jroberts04 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Settling with Collection Company
    I am thinking in offering a settlement for what I owe, but they are telling me I just do it over the phone and nothing in writing. I am worried this guy doesn't even take it to his supervisor and tells me no, that they want more $$$. When I asked why they don't do it in writing he just said they don't. Is that normal??
    oncameratalent Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
    You should always get everything in writing when dealing with collection agents. You can also send them a cease and desist letter to stop them from contacting you, so you can deal with the original creditor only. A sample letter is here...

Stop It!

Apr 16, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Absolutely in writing!

If the case ever gets to court, what he said, or she said, will do you no good.

Good Luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Even if you agree to it over the phone, it is not agreed to legally until it is in writing. It is not uncommon for collection people to lie on the phone.
    jroberts04 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Even if you agree to it over the phone, it is not agreed to legally untill it is in writing. it is not uncommon for collection people to lie on the phone.

It was funny he says to me "it's illegal for me to lie to you" and that means what to me I said! Haha.

So is there a sample form of what I should put on the letter and fax or just put my name on paper the account number and that I am offering X amount of dollars??

You have all been very helpful. Thank you in advance
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Actually, you should find a number that they will agree to, and then, the written confirmation needs to come from them.

I guess you could type something up yourself, but I think having it come from them is a better option for you.

If they won't put it in writing, looks like you have to go to court.
    SBU Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2008, 02:04 PM
    I work for Wells Fargo Collections PT while finishing up school. When we settle on an account we make the arrangement over the phone, and typically a settlement letter is mailed. They should be willing to send you a settlement letter. Like I said though, I work for Wells Fargo collections, not a collections agency, and there is a difference so I don't know exactly how they work.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 17, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Also bear in mind, when making a settlement offer, debt collectors usually only pay between 10 - 20% of the paper value of any debt.
    So a debt of 1,000 could have been purchased for as little as 100.
    Bear this in mind and start low on your settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Company VS Me? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I have searched through a lot of the information here and can't quite find one that corresponds wit my situation. So I literally just found out that I had been sued and the judgement was against me for a credit card I had when I was 18 and long since forgotten about, over 10 yrs. The way I...

Collection company [ 2 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection company stating that I owe an account from 1998-2000 on a phone bill for $768 in Florida. I stated that I need to see proof of this. They sent me an incomplete copy of a phone bill without it being itemized. At this point I don't even know if this is a accurate...

Settling with a collection agency [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Just wanted some feed back. I owe $274.00 to SBC-ameritech. Midland collections is offering a settlement of $205. They faxed the letter stating that the balance would be paid in full. And reported to the agencies. I am sending a check through the mail. What exactly do I write on the...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your reply. I agree that getting a loan isn't a good idea but for some reason they just did not understand that. I made this debt for myself and intend to pay it but they also don't understand that I can't afford the monthly payment they are asking for and told them I would send...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They...

View more questions Search