Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wylieguy003 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Ariens old snow blower with problems!
    Well my friends gave me an older my guess is 1980s snow blower with and 8 horse power motor, it did not run my guess was the carb,took it apart sprayed the holes and got as much junk out of the tank as I could put it back on and did not fire up it tried but there was not gas coming into the motor... any ideas?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Ok, to trouble shoot, this is a tecumseh? Try some ether (starting fluid) down the carb, see if it'll start and run off that, no? Then remove the kill wire to the coil, no? Then its either a bad plug, coil, or if it has a point and condenser system, the point and condenser needs replacement, though if it does start with the kill wire removed, it's a bad switch, if it did start at first with the starting fluid, well you still have a carb problem, just a simple blow out with carb cleaner won't get a badly clogged with gum/trash carb going, it'll need a rebuild kit, and a soak overnight in cleaner, then a blow out.

One thing to do before though, take some needle noses, and crimp the fuel line, right at the carb, remove it, and let it flow into a gas container, etc. to see if you are in fact getting fuel to the carb. Now when you do rebuild the carb, make sure the float doesn't slosh or feel heavy, if it does, that's gas, replace it.
    wylieguy003 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Yea the previous owner had the unit sitting in his garage for many years unused when I first removed the carb bowl there was orange gas in the carb... I removed the switch and the throttle control wire from the carb for more work space... I did put new gas into the carb and checked the bowl to see if it was full... it did have fresh gas in it, but it wasn't getting into the engine... can you tell me what's involed and were to get this rebuild kit+ I can provide pictures if you give me a place to send them... not sure about the engine
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Get the numbers (its most likely a tecumseh) off the engine, and take it to a local small engine shop to order what you'll need, since it sat for many years, that gas has gummed the carb good, it will need a good soaking. About all that's involved, is getting your parts that you need first, then tearing it apart, make sure you get familiar with the carb, even pictures will help, soak all the parts, and then after soaking, reverse the disassembly. This carb most likely has low and high speed mixture screws, remove them too, its 1.5 turns out from snug as a baseline on both, then fine tune when its warmed up, you should be able to throttle it up with little to no hesitation.
    jerryj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 08:45 AM
    Shold the float be in a level position when the needle valve is shutting off the fuel?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C Blower Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying simply to find the schematics for a Snyder General A/C-furnace blower. Apparently the company has changed hands several time since this unit was installed. The Blower is a model # DEBA010G... All I want to do is make sure that this blower is wired on High. Thanks!

Blower motor problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I came home last night to find my ac had stopped working. The ac unit runs fine but the blower motor had stopped. I shut the system down and waited till the next day and tried it again. It worked great for about 3 or 4 minutes and then stopped again. The ac unit works but the blower motor...

Ariens 13 HP oil getting black [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Ariens rear engine 13 Horsepower mower. It is a 2001 model. It has starting using oil. The oil starts turning black after 2 hours of usage. When I pull the dipstick to check the oil level its not totally black but some black will be on the bottom of the stick. The mower seems to run...

Snow blower shear pin [ 1 Answers ]

I broke a shear pin on my craftsman snow thrower. The head and retainer nut are sheared off properly but I don't know how to get the actual pin out of the shaft. Should I just use a small screwdriver and hammer and just knock it out? I have replacement pins.

View more questions Search