Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Eight-year-old wife wins divorce
    Eight-year-old wife wins divorce | The Daily Telegraph

"I am happy that I am divorced now. I will be able to go back to school,'' Nojud Mohammed Ali said, after a public hearing in Sanaa's court of first instance.

Her former husband, 28-year-old Faez Ali Thameur, said he married the child "with her consent and that of her parents'' but that he did not object to her divorce petition.

In response to a question from Judge Mohammed al-Qadhi, he acknowledged that the "marriage was consummated, but I did not beat her".
    I honestly don't understand this. 8 year old... marriage consummated. :(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
    As one of my daughters would say: "Ewwwwwwwww"
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
    You know... I have to say...

ICK ICK ICK!
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Religion is no friend to women!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Where is the outcry against the parents?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 17, 2008, 12:44 AM
    This is wrong in so many ways.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 03:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    where is the outcry against the parents ??
    That's part of thing that bothers me - there is no outcry because it's perfectly acceptable according to their religion.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Eight-year-old wife wins divorce | The Daily Telegraph

I honestly don't understand this. 8 year old ... marriage consummated. :(

Hi there,

I haven't actually read this story or heard anything about it on the news reports,
    surely this has to be some sort of mistake... doesn't it.

I'm not saying that it isn't true but absolutely unbelieveable, I mean an 8 year old child and a 28 year old man where is the law in this matter?

What sort of religious beliefs does this family have! That covers all of the crimes committed against this 8 year old child... shame on them for allowing this to happen.

What is even more sad is the fact that the child thinks this is normal judging by her response I feel concerned for any other children within this family someone must interviene.

Do they treat their children like possesions, is there some kind of payment made to the would be husband, my mind cannot comprehend this I feel deeply for that child.

As for the so called husband he can't be of sound mind I mean to be with an 8 year old as it suggests in that way is nothing more than perverted I feel quite sick to my stomach.

They quite clearly have no religious beliefs, standards, moral values... in fact they have no contribution that I can see to add to mankind so there's only one thing for them in my book... "IF THYNE EYE OFENED THEE PLUCK IT OUT"..

my sincere apologies if I have caused offence to anyone
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Unbelievable and pathetic.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Orphan,

It is true.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Orphan, you have to remember that in this part of the world camels are considered more valuable than women. She was a thing to be bartered - nothing more.

Very, very sad.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:02 PM
    *Disgusted face*

I can't even imagine this happening in the USA. I hope this kind of belief doesn't make it's way over to the states in the near future.

So was this ex husband's intentions sexual as well when they married?

EWWW!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
    It is here in the states, The Associated Press: Texas judge holding custody hearing for polygamists' kids
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Yes but did you watch the mothers say it wasn't true? It is all over the news. I think they are covering up for the men so that they don't get a beatin' when they get home.

I don't think any one in the states has married at the age of 8.

Tisk, tisk...
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I am confused, what mothers sayit isn't true? The Texas thing or the other thing?
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 05:48 AM
    The mothers of the compound came forward and spoke about their home.

They claim that they have never witnessed under age marriage or sex. But researchers of the ranch suggested other wise. They found documents of under age marraiges and they found that 5 teenage girls were pregnant or already has kids and all under the age of 18.

The mothers are covering up in fear that they would get in trouble if they say the wrong thing or answer a question the wrong way.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 04:21 AM
    The father mentions that he has had his daughters kidnapped before and in desperation he may have made the choice to marry his daughter to someone who could possibly protect her. I cannot say the exact reason.
    As the article states that Yemen does not have any marriage laws regarding age and the country being poor may also be a factor in a family making such a decision to marry their daughter off early,but since the girl does not wish to return to her own family, there maybe other factors that is not stated in the article, like domestic abuse even within the family.

Age of marriage in this day and age should be different from the time of the Prophet(pbuh), because at the time of the marriage of the Prophet (pbuh) to Aisha (RA) was accepted at that time 1400 or so years ago by even the enemies of Islam. Those who were against the Prophet(pbuh) used to find all the ways they could slander his name,but they do not mention his marriage to Aisha (RA) because in that day and age it was acceptable in most societies to marry young girls as soon as they reach puberty or show signs of puberty.

For many who accuse the marriage of the Prophet (pbuh) to Aisha(not on this thread ) as something of child sexual abuse,I would just like to note the following that Aisha (RA) was the best woman scholar and the best among muslim women.
    Aisha's(RA)marriage to the Prophet at an early age let her be an eye witness to the personal details of his life, and to pass them on to later Muslims.
    Being spiritually and physically near to the Prophet, the marriage made 'Aisha an example to all Muslims, especially women, for all times.
    She developed into a profound and able teacher and scholar, due to her remarkable
    Memory, intelligence and wisdom.
    'Aisha, the Mother of the Believers as she was named in the Qur'an, was not only a model for wives and mothers, but she was also a commentator on the Qur'an, an authority
    On Hadith and knowledgeable in the disciplines of Islamic Law, Arabic history and literature.
    For those who question the role of women in Islam, one needs only look back at how she was regularly consulted in countless and diverse religious matters both during the life
    Of the Prophet, and even more after his death.
    And her development as a young woman seems to show that she wasn't in an abusive relationship,for is she was in one,it would have surely hampered her growth in some way which does not seem to be the case.

During the time of the Prophet(pbuh), there was not much instituitional education available,which is available today.
    I always believe in women getting a good education even if they plan to stay at home as a homemaker,because mothers are the first teachers every child has,and learning begins at home.
    Legal age of marriage is 18,where I am,but I have seen girls younger than 16 wanting to get married to their boyfriends,stopping their own education in school and going against the wishes of their parents to wait until they finish school.

Even in this day and age we see family's of rural communities wanting to get their daughters married off at a young age and not only in Islamic countries but other communities where they are poor and unable to afford to look after their children or they have no other way of lightening their own burdens of too many children.
    Some practice it as a custom, as part of their heritage and culture.

Some family's even sell their own children to prostitution in order to earn money.
    It may shock us to read this, but it happens in many countries.

And saying that Islam accepts or recommends abuse of anyone is not right, because ;-
    Quran Surah5: ayat 8
    “O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allâh and be just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is well acquainted with what you do.”

Whatever the reason or whatever a muslim may do in the name of religion,know that in the end the Almighty knows all that is in the hearts and each will be questioned about what they practiced or associated to Islam.If they do so in ignorance may the Almighty forgive them,but if they do things knowing it is wrong and unjust,they will surely see the result of their wrongdoing.

Quran Surah (chapter )99: Ayat (verse) 7,8
    “So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.
    And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.”
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 06:55 AM
    This is so wrong, ew doesn't even begin to cover it for me, yuck doesn't work either. This is disgusting, it's pedophilia, it's just not right.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Apr 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan

They quite clearly have no religious beliefs, standards, moral values........ infact they have no contribution that i can see to add to mankind so there's only one thing for them in my book......."IF THYNE EYE OFENED THEE PLUCK IT OUT".......? ?
    They have morals, religion, and standards. Just DIFFERENT ones.

Not that it's right... I mean... 8 years old? From the family history (other daughters being abducted) I can actually understand the parents marrying her off early... but to allow it to be consummated?? That's just... the poor girl.

And she sounds so stoic, just looking forward to going back to school and getting to be a child again.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Hello:

What surprises me, is your surprise at the atrocities going on in the name of religion, all around the world. In fact, right here in our own back yards, not much has changed since we burned witches. We just took it indoors. How many children are beaten mercilessly attempting to purge an "evil spirit"? How long has the rape and molestation of children been going in Texas and Arizona while the authorities looked the other way? Are they still looking the other way in terms of other polygamist communities?? You betcha.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to divorce after 1 year marriage, wife wants house [ 6 Answers ]

A friend of mine married only 1 year ago, and now wants to divorce, but added his wife's name to the house ownership. How can he get out of the marriage and still maintain ownership of his house. The woman has not contributed to the mortgage financially or in any other way. And not currently work....

My Wife Wants Divorce. [ 32 Answers ]

We have been married for 15 years with two kids (12 & 9). I have a good job and she has her own business. We both make good money (she makes more). There have been lot of ups and downs in our relationship but we always made up and forgave. Not this time. She said she has no feeling for me...

Did my wife file for divorce and I don't know it [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I think my wife filed for divorce about 20 years ago in LA county California. I had my wages garnished and then she said she stopped it. We are now split up. Does anyone know how I can find the records of this other then flying down there. Or have a lawyer do it. Please help me if you have...

How do I divorce my Philippina wife from the USA? [ 2 Answers ]

I am an American Citizen. I was married in Las Vegas in 1994 to a Philippina. For 10 of our past married years, we lived in Manilla. In 2005 I moved back to the USA alone. I now want to get a divorce from my Philippina Dentist wife. We have 2 children, 13 and 4, who also live in Manilla with...

General law on divorce for wife [ 1 Answers ]

I have friends whose daughter and son in law are business partners with them. The daughter is a stay at home mother and is dependent on her husbands income. If she were to file for divorce does that hinder her getting alimony? And how would the business be treated by the courts? He seems to try...

View more questions Search