Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Fiberglass shower drain leak
    I have a fiberglass shower leak drain leak. It is caused by the fiberglass cracking around the drain. I need to confirm my process for fixing this problem.
    1. Remove old drain. It is a metal with a nut on the bottom. Can't unscrew it because the drain is so loose that it turns in the drain opening so I will cut it out.
    2. Repair the fiberglass opening either with a kit or get a professional to do it?
    3. Put new drain in probably a Wingtite?
    4. The drain problem was caused by faulty installation of the shower, no support. To support the drain and shower I plan on using insulation foam since it would be difficult(tight space) to support with wood structure or concrete?

Anyone see any problems with process?
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2006, 07:40 AM
    I'm agreeing with everything except using foam to bed the shower floor. Since foam is mostly air it will not give the support needed. Isn't there something you could shore up the shower floor with that would give it more support? If it's the same foam insulation that I used to caulk my wall AC with then you can push it in with your finger, think what the weight of a 180 pound guy stepping on it will do? I would really look for something more substantial to bed the shower floor with. Regards, Tom
    abean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Thanks,
    I only have a 6" opening to try and pour or stick something between the subflooring and the shower bottom. I could cut small 2x4 blocks and force them between shower bottom and subfloor?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abean
    Thanks,
    I only have a 6" opening to try and pour or stick something between the subflooring and the shower bottom. I could cut small 2x4 blocks and force them between shower bottom and subfloor?
    Anything would be better then foam. I could puddle mortar or patching cement in a 6' opening. It would be tight and take a while but unless I'm missing something it could be done. All you'd have to do, if you can get your hand on there, is keep shoving cement or mortar through the opening until you have built up support pads. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiberglass shower drain removal [ 1 Answers ]

All we wanted to do is change our drain from brass to chrome in our fiber glass shower and I'm afaid we have bitten off more than we can chew. The brass drain is glued in with a 2" piece of pvc pipe sticking up in the center. How can we remove the brass drain wtihout damaging the shower or going...

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

ABS Fiberglass Shower Drain Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've read some great posts on the forums but still can't fully answer my hopefully simple question. I'm installing a fiberglass shower in my basement and picked up an ABS screw-in drain for it to connect to my abs drain pipe. The drain came with a rubber gasket, I'm wondering which side of...

Fiberglass Shower Leak [ 2 Answers ]

My second floor fiberglass surround shower is causing a leak from the first floor ceiling. I don't know what to start with to try to fix it. I hope someone can help me.

Fiberglass Jacuzzi Tub Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drain leak on my fiberglass jacuzzi tub. I have removed the metal drain from the tub and cleaned it, cleaned the rubber washer on top of the PVC drain pipe, and applied a new coat of plumbers putty to the metal drain before reinstalling it. I still have a small leak coming from where the...

View more questions Search