Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b_wad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Child suppoprt
    Can a woman ask for emergency support before the divorce is filed after the husband abandoned the home ?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Hi,
    Normally, a Settlement Agreement is signed by both parties, using a lawyer. Thie agreement states what must be paid, or not, and becomes law when it's signed... sometimes after only a month.
    Waiting for a Divorce Agreement and Settlement can take a year, in some states.
    Ask your lawyer about getting any payments beforehand. I do wish you the best of luck.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by b_wad
    can a woman ask for emergency support before the divorce is filed after the husband abandoned the home ?
    YES.

You can actually sign a Child Agreement BEFORE the Divorce agreement is finalized. Have your lawyer get that done for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Yes you can ask the court to grant you a temp order of support and temp custody. The temp orders don't mean the court will go that way in the real case, But of course if he has an attorney, he can object and file other motions including temp custody hisself

Your attorney would know this, please discuss this with him. You will need an attorney to do a divorce including child support and child custody.
    b_wad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 11:40 PM
    I will no longer use a lawyer for divorce proceedings.. the judges here are fair and won't let anyone get taken. During my own custody battle I spent 20,000.00 and lost. I studied, refiled and won sole custody.. then sued my lawyer for malpractice.
    The problem is lawyers see the same judge 10 times a day and will not fight his hardest.. they like to push the paperwork through.
    With a little study the process can be very easy, save you tons of money while costing the opponent enormous amounts..
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 12:46 AM
    Congratulations.

Curious, how did the lawsuit against your lawyer for malpractice turn out? Did you use a lawyer for that?
    Sosdog Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2006, 01:20 AM
    Yes you 'can' if he agrees and signs it. The court will not force any support before divorce/custody hearings are done unless the welfare of the child is at stake, then it will be state supported (paid by the state) and when the support order is finalized they will set up repayment (or sometimes include it in a lump payment due immediately) which will be the responsibility of the applicable parent. They do this because the support owed is in force when the proceedings started, not when finalized.

Sos

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support? [ 9 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer. Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and...

Cry for the child [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a television movie with mare wittingham who played a homeless mother with her daughter. I think it is called "CRY FOR THE CHILD". I am also not sure how to spell the actress's name I would like to own this movie but I can't find it. Can someone confirm this info for...

View more questions Search