Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mcaleer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Starting A Reseller Hosting
    Ok, so I enjoy computers a lot, and web design. So I've decided to start a small reseller hosting for some extra money.. but I'm not sure what I do about registering it anything and I have no clue what to do about taxes... need as much info as possible please.. thanks
    SBU Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, you want to purchase unique domain names that you think others would find value in so they can then be resold to them at a higher price? If this is the case I first must share my opinion on the industry and how I think it discourages small business development on the web because businesses that legitimately need those names have to pay hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars to acquire them.

Anyway, it is quite simple. You buy them from a domain host and then you sell them. I know Godaddy.com has an auction and a list for reselling domain names. But I repeat, I do not encourage this practice.

Apr 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
    No I'm selling web hosting for people who want websites
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Part of what I do on the Internet, is I build websites for some of the groups and friends with whom I am involved at no cost to them. But, I do use the places where you can build a free website in order to do that. It has worked out well enough, that I am thinking of advertising to charge for such a service to others. Like one, initial fee for setting up the website for certain things, and then additional fees if they might want me to maintain the website for them. Is hosting websites like that something that you had in mind?

I'm just looking for a little further clarity as to what you are wanting to do and how you are going to be able to do it. My apologies for the confusion here!

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2008, 01:06 PM
    What I mean is I'm opening a webhosting business where people can purchase hosting to create websites. Im not sure what to due about starting it like about tax and registering the business
    SBU Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2008, 01:14 PM
    For business registration first visit your states Seceratary of State (SOS) website for registration info and then go to your city hall to more info on local registration. As to tax info, it really just depends on what kind of business you are going to have. If it is going to be a sole proprietership, LLC, s-corp, or if you are going to partner with a friend, it will all go on your personal income tax. However, you may be required to pay an estimated tax amt every quarter. If you select an LLC or s-corp I know you will also have to file a biannual report (unless that is just the case here in Iowa). All that info can be found at IRS.gov and at your SOS website. Hope this helps, sorry for all the confusion.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2008, 12:31 PM
    I would recommend starting by purchasing a reseller account, for example from hostgator. This will allow you to sell a few accounts without much risk, and without taking on a lot of the technical burden. After that, getting a cheap dedicated server at around $200 a month will give you a lot of flexibility.

The real problem is finding a niche market. It's hard to compete against people who can afford to sell you a months hosting for $5.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dedicated Hosting [ 6 Answers ]

I know most "review" and "ranking" sites are a bit misleading in that they have affiliate links to the sites they list - and why sites are in their "top 10" is undisclosed. ... so looking for personal recommendations based on either your own personal experience or that of friends or other people...

Hosting advice [ 10 Answers ]

I have designed the webpage I want to use on an off the shelf package called webeasy, I have my domain name already but the hosting package offered is not that good. The website will be for property owners selling their own homes so I need quite a lot of space. I've been searching on Google all...

New to web hosting [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Since I'm new to web technology , can any tell me how to host a site. I have created a small application using asp.net which runs in my local.

I'm hosting alone [ 2 Answers ]

I am hosting a baby shower for my sister in law, I only know a few of her girls friends, and no one has offered to help me host. It is going to be a very large party as it is a co-ed party. Is it rude to ask someone if they would like to help me?

View more questions Search