Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frede106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 09:48 PM
    Kitchen Sink Vent
    I recently had a new roof put on my house and during the installation, they broke a vent pipe and then put roofing shingles over it. I didn't know what this vent was until I was told by a friend that is was the kitchen sink vent. What are the consequences of this vent pipe now "roofed" over and below the roof surface? Should I call the roofer back to fix this problem?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 14, 2006, 01:14 AM
    Yes, you should DEFINITELY demand that the roofer return immediately and fix his incompetent screw-up AT NO COST TO YOU.

I don't know where he got the nerve to call himself a "roofer" - I don't want to start name-calling openly, but the name I would prefer to call him rhymes with "plucking ash sole", if you catch my drift. Blocking a vent like that is dangerous, illegal, against code, and just plain damn stupid. The sewer gasses are prevented from escaping, and - more importantly - the lack of venting can result in a siphon condition inside the pipes, which will suck the water out of the fixture traps, allowing sewer gas a free first-class ticket into your home.

Call that so-called "roofer" back to fix it up (at his OWN expense) ASAP - if you forget about it and let it slide for too long, you'll only make it easier for him to tapdance out of his responsibility. Get 'em while it's hot! ;)

Let us know what happens, please.
    Moishe
    Frede106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Moishe and Speedball,

Thank you very much for answering this question. You gave me the motivation to call the roofer back. He came back and without question, fixed the problem. The vent is now in place and my mind is at ease. Thanks again for your input.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 19, 2006, 02:47 PM
    No problem, that's what we're here for. ;)

And thanks for getting back to us - we really appreciate knowing the end of the story. You can't imagine how annoying it feels when someone asks for help, we give it, and then we never hear from the person again, leaving us to wonder what happened in the end. So your report is much welcomed.

Glad everything turned out OK!

Cheers,
    Moishe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor from vent next to kitchen sink faucet [ 8 Answers ]

We have some sort of vent thing on our kitchen sink that has some awful smells coming out of it. The dishwasher drain attaches to it just below the sink at a T. On the other part of the T there is a black rubber hose running back down to the PVC pipe below the disposal and above the trap. Sometimes...

Kitchen sink plumbing/vent problem [ 6 Answers ]

good morning to all! I have a question that I hope someone can answer.I have an older modular home that we've decided to upgrade the kitchen in.I'm installing new cabinets and a new sink and also have decided to add a dishwasher next to the sink base cabinet.my problem is that the vent that goes...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

View more questions Search