Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crisrute Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Will my homeowners insurance still pay our losses from our house fire if we foreclose
    We had a garage fire in December and our house has not been rebuilt yet. Our Public Adjuster is working with our Insurance provider and they haven't come to an amount agreement. In the meantime my husband and I are broke and we can't afford our house payments anymore. At the time of purchase we were told we would have the same payment of $1800.00 with a 30 yr fix loan. Since we were first home buyers we didn't think to ask about our escrow account. The lender was qouting us at P & I, not PMI and our mortgage went up to $2200.00 a month. We don't want to foreclose, but we just can't afford the new payment and our lender has stated there is nothing they can do and that we are stuck. I'm afraid if we walk away from our house the insurance will not cover the fire damages and unsalvagable property we lost. Don't know what to do.:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2008, 09:25 AM
    The insurance pays the claim based on when the incident occurred. So, even if you lose the house, that shouldn't affect the claim. However, there is a caveat here. The insurance is designed to make you whole. Most likely the insurance will pay to rebuild the house, but its not going to give you a check so you can walk away with it.
    jjmcguire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
    What will likely happen is the carrier will pay you for your damaged personal property and then pay your lender for damage to the house. Follow up with your public adjuster and see what offers the carrier has made. I'm not a big fan of PA's. Remember he/she is working for you, they're taking a fee. Make sure they give you updates. Let them know of this problem. It may become important when the settlement check is cashed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmcguire
    What will likely happen is the carrier will pay you for your damaged personal property and then pay your lender for damage to the house. Follow up with your public adjuster and see what offers the carrier has made. I'm not a big fan of PA's. Remember he/she is working for you, they're taking a fee. Make sure they give you updates. Let them know of this problem. It may become important when the settlement check is cashed.

My experience has been - and only my experience - that a public adjuster gets you a great deal more money, even after their percentage, than dealing directly with your insurance company.

Every penny the insurance company doesn't give you stays in their pocket.

And homeowners insurance is - as Scott said - a claims made policy - it's your coverage on the date of the loss that counts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car + Insurance +Fire [ 3 Answers ]

Have a question.. I really get kind of paranoid in some situations, so I wanted to clear it up. First.. I bought a car through a credit union. They financed me for $8k. I got behind two months because of troubles with work . I was living off savings and trying to keep spending as small as...

Can you sue/mediate house insurance company? [ 11 Answers ]

If you have a claim with your insurance company and they deny it for faulty materials, even though the materials wasn't cause of the damage it was something else that they will cover, to I have any recourse? I feel pretty hopeless... :(

Dogs/cats in house fire [ 2 Answers ]

Here is a kit that can be ordered for free from the ASpCA.ASPCA: Free Pet Rescue Sticker I have these stickers on both the front and back door of my home. The reason for writing this post is there was a fire on my street today. These people owned a cat... the house 30 feet to the left has a dog....

Fire Damage to House [ 5 Answers ]

An apartment building housing 3 families caught on fire next door to a house that I own and collapsed and burned to the ground. According to the final fire report, the cause of the fire cannot be determined. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. The owner of...

Can a creditor foreclose on my house? [ 10 Answers ]

Thanks to everyone for a quick response. I was told today, by an attorney, that if a judgement is placed against me by a credit card company (I have $80k in unsecured debt) that not only can they place a lien on my house, but they can foreclose. How is that possible?

View more questions Search