Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnEstate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 08:27 AM
    401k distribution to an estate
    After my mothers death, my father changed the beneficiary on his 401k plan to "My Estate". He subsequently re-married. Before marrying he signed a pre nuptial that was pretty simplistic and simply said that his assets were to go to his children upon his death. He did NOT re-address the 401k. Recently, my father died, having been married to his second wife for 2 or 3 years. The 401k administrator informs us that upon re-marrying, the primary beneficiary automatically reverted to his new wife, unless he specifically once again designates the estate as the beneficiary. Since he never did so again upon re-marrying, the 401k goes to the second wife. Does this make sense? Are there steps I can take to keep the distribution in the family? Also, the second wife has indicated (probably only verbally) that she does not want the money as she recognizes that my father's intent with the pre nuptial was for the money to go to the children. Can she legally refuse the money and if she does, does it go to the estate?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnEstate
    After my mothers death, my father changed the beneficiary on his 401k plan to "My Estate". He subsequently re-married. Before marrying he signed a pre nuptial that was pretty simplistic and simply said that his assets were to go to his children upon his death. He did NOT re-address the 401k. Recently, my father died, having been married to his second wife for 2 or 3 years. The 401k administrator informs us that upon re-marrying, the primary beneficiary automatically reverted to his new wife, unless he specifically once again designates the estate as the beneficiary. Since he never did so again upon re-marrying, the 401k goes to the second wife. Does this make sense? Are there steps I can take to keep the distribution in the family? Also, the second wife has indicated (probably only verbally) that she does not want the money as she recognizes that my father's intent with the pre nuptial was for the money to go to the children. Can she legally refuse the money and if she does, does it go to the estate?

I have never heard the "automatic" beneficiary explanation before so, no, it makes no sense to me. That is not the case with my 401K.

The widow doesn't have to refuse the money - she can take it (and there will be taxes) and then hand it over to anyone she chooses.

I think you need an estate Attorney before this goes any further and the 401K is transferred into her name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate distribution of funds [ 1 Answers ]

My father died :( and left one estate to be executed, however I have a question about using his estate to pay his debts. First some background: He inherited money from his 2nd wife to use while he was alive, but to be left to beneficiaries she named when she died. He was the 1st beneficiary, and...

Executor of Estate and distribution [ 8 Answers ]

My father left me 90% of his Estate and his other sibling 10%. I am Executor of his trust as well as beneficiary on his bank accounts. The money he listed in his trust are not the same as his accounts. Is the other sibling only entitled to the amounts shown in his trust or by me being the...

Timeline for distribution of estate in Ga [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died Jan 06. My estranged sister was appointed executor. The will was probated in April 06, however, I have not received a deed for the acreage left to me. Recently I found out that she was attempting to have the land rezoned. I was able to have that matter tabled because she doesn't...

Income Tax on IRA in Estate Distribution [ 1 Answers ]

Summary: Man and wife (over 65) have property and funds, which include an IRA. Everything is willed to each other, and then to the adult children. Wife dies and before her will is probated, husband dies. Will(s) are finally probated and estate distributed. It is understood that no ESTATE taxes...

View more questions Search