Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adel917 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Evicting a family member
    Hello,
    I live in Illinois and recently purchased a house with my boyfriend. We argeed to allow his younger sister to live with us rent a room and pay us a set fee every month. Well, she started disrespecting my home and I had a problem with it because I have two small children so I confronted her about it. She doesn't want to speak with me since then, but she told her brother she was going to look for another place to stay(at the end of March), so a day or two later he agreed with her and told her it was probably for the best. He didn't want any drama or tension in our home. He agreed to allow her to leave her bedroom set and a few other things until August, which I don't like. She is very mad he sided with me on this issue.
    So anyhow she moved some of her things out on April 3rd. She didn't bother leaving the key. A week later on April 10th she pops up in my home unannounced to gather a couple of things and her mail. I don't want her barging in or out of my home anytime she feels like it so, I asked her for the key back, and she started cursing me out. So now I want her out (her clothes and all her furniture). I emailed on Sunday giving her a notice that I want her and all her belongings out and now she says she will not listen to me, and will not do anything until her brother tells her to. She said by law as a tenant she has the right to be given 7 days to move, but she will not move until he tells her too. She is not a tenant, but a family member and I own the house and we did not have a contract. I gave her a week notice. I want her out by Sunday April 20th because she is not paying rent to stay here any longer and that means her things will not stay either. Am I allowed to get rid of her things if it comes down to it? What are my obligations by law? Thank you for any help.
    Andrea :confused:
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
    I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, she was right. She was indeed a tenant and you need to follow the legal procedure to throw her out.

Maybe you will be better off having the brother ask her to move. Yes it was unfair but at least you learned a lesson.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Since the brother is also owner of the property, unless he says she has to move, she does not have to

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a family member in IL? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a quick question. Unfortunately my younger sister is a drug addict. My mother put her through rehab 3 times already and again she is back on drugs. Today my mother had enough and wanted her out of the house. She called the police to have her removed. When the police came they said that...

Evicting a family member [ 1 Answers ]

My dad, brother & I leave in the same house we have a cousin how moved in on a temporary basis, she doesn't pay rent, she will not lift a finger to help clean the house my father is 74yrs old and still is picking up after her, when I asked her to help me clean the house when I was on crutches after...

Evicting family member [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of years ago my brother's house was being foreclosed on. He asked my sister and her husband to buy it and let him live in it and he would make payments. They did that to help him out. However, he has continually failed to make the payments as he agreed to and only has made a couple in...

Evicting a family member [ 4 Answers ]

Can I evict a my son without going to court?

Evicting a family member [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find out how I can safely and least painfullly evict a family member (24 years old son) with addiction problem, not serious about finding a job, and very abusive to other family members.

View more questions Search