Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    back to NY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Relocating from Bahamas back to NY
    I was granted an L1 visa on September 19th 2006 and started working in NY on October 28th 2006. MY tax return for 2006 was filed as a Non-Resident Alien using form 1040NR.

I continued working in NY until October 2nd 2007 at which point I relocated to the Bahamas, but still employed by my US employer.

The project I am working on has been delayed and as a result, I am relocating back to NY in July 2008.

I am using a CPA to do my tax return for 2007 but I am interested in understanding the following;

1. Will I file as a resident or non-resident alien for 2007?

2. With regards to my tax return for 2008, will I be considered a NRA, resident alien or dual status alien?

3. Will I be liable for any taxes on my earnings while working outside of the US (October 2007 to July 2008)?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
    1 -3) If your L-1 did not expire, you can file as a resident alien under the concept of "Continuous Presence". The same applies for 2008 providing you remain in the U.S. Yes, you ARE liable for those taxes in the eyes of the IRS.
    back to NY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Thanks.

With regards to my tax liability for my earnings outside the US from October 2007 to July 2008, will I able subject to any concessions or will I be taxed at the full rate?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
    If you paid taxes to another country on that income, you can claim the Foreign Tax Credit by filing Form 1116 with your Form 1040. The credit will probably NOT be dollar-for-dollar, but it is better than nothing.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 08:00 PM
    I am not familiar with the "continuous presence" rule cited by ATE. I would think that you would file as a dual status alien for 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traveling to the Bahamas with a bench warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to the Bahamas and recently found out (5 days ago) that I have fines I did not pay in the state of Utah from 11 years ago, I also found out there is a 1500 dollar bench warrant for not paying these fines, will I have problems going to the bahamas or coming back into the country. Worried...

Time share lease in the Bahamas [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 30 year lease I bought for about $15000 in 1986. The property is based in the Bahamas. Lease expires in 2026. The maintenance fees are killing me. I want to get out of it . The time share company won't allow it so they can keep sticking me with the maintenance fees and special assessments....

Relocating from NY to KY [ 13 Answers ]

Ok so I am divorced from my son's farther, I have sole custody and he has visitation every other weekend. I am currently married to a United Sates Soldier who is located in Kentucky. My husband is 33 and I am 25, so no we are not young. I do medical billing for a hospital, I make OK money but...

Relocating back to Europe ~ how to file taxes next year [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving back home to Austria in a few weeks and was wondering what the procedure is for me to file taxes next year (I was working until May 06). Can I do this from Europe? Is there any paperwork I need to fill out before I leave the country?

View more questions Search