Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlanScott01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Not able to make Chandlier work with Dimmer Switch
    Yesterday I bought a new chandelier to replace my old one thatworked perfectly, using an existing dimmer switch. When I disconnected the old chandelier, I noticed there is old wiring and new wiring. My first mistake, I didn't pay attention to which wiring was connected to the old chandelier. I tested the current on the wires and noticed the old wiring seems to have a current. The new wiring seems to be connected to the dimmer switch (which I know was working), and it was properly operating the old chandelier. I've tried every configuration I can think of, and now the lamp either doesn't work, or it DOES work, but it stays on all the time when it works. Also, when it stays on, the dimmer switch neither makes it dim up or down, or even turns it off. I think that's because it's set to the old wiring, and I think the dimmer switch was set to work with the new wiring. Yet I can't seem to make the new wiring work now.

There are 2 cables. One cable is the old house wire (black and white). It's hard to tell which is b & w though, because the covering is very old and discolored. They both look gray.

The new cable is b & w, with a ground wire. I can't tell where the ground wire is going, but it looks to connect to the metal box.

Currently I have the cables connected the following way:
    - Old black / Chandelier black
    - Old white / new white
    - new black - Chandelier white

In addition, there is a white wire about 3" long with both ends exposed that was in the metal box. I'm not sure what either end was connected to, as it just fell out of the box when I opened it.

If you're able to advise what needs to be done, I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps there needs to be a wire bridge?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alan
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I would do all testing without dimmer, when the 2 switch wires have been identified connect the dimmer, a defective dimmer may remain on high. Or not work at all.

Apr 15, 2008, 08:01 AM
    When I first connected the wires there was a pop noise. I'm wondering if perhaps the dimmer switch (which is only 3 weeks old) shorted out, which would cause the dimmer to not work at all, leaving the light on.

Does that sound plausible in your opinion?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 08:03 AM
    That sounds most likely, remove dimmer, connect and disconnect switch wires to see if it switches correctly, when it works normally, install dimmer.

Apr 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Thanks for your help. I'll try this!

Alan
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Make sure you always connect a dimmer WITH THE POWER OFF. Doing so with it on can short the dimmer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimmer switch makes other lights not work. [ 14 Answers ]

I just installed a dimmer switch and because of it, now my closet, hallway and bathroom lights won't work. The dimmer switch does work. If I revert it back to my old switch everything lights up again. Anybodyhave any suggestions?

Dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

Does dimmer switch save electricity Switch rated for 600 watts Circuit has 5 65 watt bulbs total 325 watts When dimmer is used does it save energy and electricity ?

New Dimmer/Fan Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a dimmer/fan switch (Harbor Breeze) The fan will only come on or work when the light is on. When I turn the light up al the way, the fan on high will run at full speed, but when the light is dimmed the speed of the fans goes down, it'll also go down if I turn the fan speed...

Dimmer switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to change a regular light switch (2 wires red and black) with a dimmer switch with 3 wires ( 2 black and a green) where do you connect these 3 wires? THX.

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

View more questions Search