Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saraheliza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Make or Buy/Rent Decision
    I'm not sure how to solve this without knowing the number of units being produced. I've solved problems similar to this before, but I've always been given the number of units or cost per unit. Can someone explain this in a relatively easy way?

Super-Quick PCs manufactures laptop computers and is considering whether they should continue to make the hard drives used in their laptops themselves or buy them from an outside supplier. The company has the following production costs related to the hard drives: (1) circuit boards and other components $30,000 (2) wages for assembly line workers $50,000 (3) utilities on the factory $5,000 and (4) rent on the factory $15,000. If Super-Quick purchases hard drives from the supplier, the company would sub-lease a portion of the factory to another company for $5,000. What is the maximum purchase price that Super-Quick should be willing to pay to purchase the hard drives so that it would cost them no more than what they currently spend to make the part?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
    The first part is to determine what it currently costs to manufacture this product.

They told us that the costs are:
    (1) circuit boards and other components $30,000
    (2) wages for assembly line workers $50,000
    (3) utilities on the factory $5,000
    (4) rent on the factory $15,000.

So that is a total of $100,000.

The second part is to determine which costs would be eliminated if we were to outsource.
    We wouldn't need the boards and components, 30,000
    We wouldn't have to pay workers, 50,000
    We wouldn't have to pay utilities since the factory has been shut down, 5,000
    We would still have to pay rent of 15,000

Therefore, we would still have 15,000 in costs. But, we would get 5,000 in sub renting, so our cost base would be 10,000

Summary:
    Produce it ourselves: 100,000
    Outsource: 10,000 + whatever the outsource charges us.

Therefore, you would be willing to spend 90,000 on outsourcing in order to break even.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I make the right decision? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, this is proably going to be a long post so bear with me. Me and my ex have been broken up for just about 6 months now. For the most part we have stayed away from each other, only talking every month or so, and even then, its just casual checking up on each other. She is currently in a...

Did I make the right decision, after a 3 year relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I recently broke up. We have been going out for 3 years. He is the clingy wants to know where I'm at, at every minute of the day. And doesn't trust me (which I was paying for due to his past). But I got tired of feeling like I was being held down and never got to do anything...

Did I make the right decision? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay so I have been on the site for months now and it does help me and thank you. So my situation now is that I broke up with my boyfriend last night unexpectedly. Weird to say but yea. I was planning on doing it soon but not last night. The reason for my break up is because I need a break...

Decision to make [ 5 Answers ]

New to the site, but have been married 6 years 31 years old wife is 30. Ive wanted kids for a while now. My wife simply doesn't. We discussed this before we were married and she said that she wanted kids. I stopped asking about it a year ago, now all of a sudden she said that she is leaving...

Hardest Life Decision I have to make [ 12 Answers ]

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My boyfriend (of almost 6 years) and I have been on and off again for a few months now. And things had just gotten good again we worked on our problems and I was going to move back in in march or April when my lease ran out. Bull S&* got started (some girl...

View more questions Search