Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Finishing Basement (Newbie)
    I am currently in the process of finishing my basement. I have done the framing, run the electric and I am in the process of running the plumbing. Next step will be deciding if I can add a couple vents to the area. I admit I do not know much about HVAC. I am in the process of doing my homework now.

(forgive my HVAC vocabulary)
    In the basement celing between the joists I can see the vent chambers running from the main chamber (a rectangular shaped chamber ). The main chamber runs perpendicular to the other vent chambers. I can see 2 on each side that feed the 2 kitchen vents and 2 living room vents. I have easy access to 2 of them the other 2 are behind the ceiling that a previous inhabitant installed.

I would like to install 2 vents in the basement mainly for heat, I would keep them closed during the summer. I want to ask if I can't tap into 2 of the existing chambers and run vents pointing down? I know this would split the flow between the 2 vents by some proportion but I do not know in what ratio.
    The better question to ask is what are my options? I can provide a few pics if needed. The heating and colling units should able to handle the additional finished space. My neighbor has the same HVAC unit and has a finished basement.

Thanks in advance

Doug
    cdnk5 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
    You could just branch off one of the other runs although like you said it will reduce the pressure going to the other vents. You should also be adding return air ducts which I think are just as important for increasing the heat in a basement. The return ducts should be just off the floor to suck in cold air. It will not be nearly as effective if you just blow the warm air down there from the ceiling.
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 07:32 AM
    For branching I was hoping to be able to put an in-line vent into the duct a few feet before the terminal duct. The reason being is the ducts are run snug between 2 joists and it's the only way I can think of unless they may a dual vent (top and bottom openings) terminal end. Do they make inline vents or dual terminal vents ?

Unfortunately I don't think I can run a cold return. The return duct is not accessible to me so that I could tie into it. I assume I would have to run a duct from the return main duct down near the floor?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Finishing basement bathroom [ 17 Answers ]

When we built our house three years ago, we had the basement roughed in for a bathroom. I had talked to the plumber at that time about what would need to be done in the future, but alas have forgotten completely... :) Attached is a picture of the rough in prior to pouring the basement floor. ...

Finishing Bath in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process! ...

Basement finishing and insulation [ 3 Answers ]

What is better for framing out a basement, wood or steel 2x4's. Also when insulating what vapor barrier is better none, kraft paper, foil or batts wrapped in plastic or a sheet of plastic before the wallboard is put up?

View more questions Search