Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Getting rid of ANTS!
    I woke up yesterday to find my kitchen walls and counters covered by ants. I clean and disinfect the kitchen everyday. None of the products that I've tried have worked. Any suggestion?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Try Sweet N Low or Equal. Sprinkle where the ants trail is and you won't have any more ants. Aspertame makes wonderful ant killer. They use this as an effective insectacide in some foreign countries in the fields for ant and insect control. I use this outside on any ant hills or mounds in my yard and it works like magic.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
    You may have a large nest nearby in the house or outside, and they are swarming to form a satellite nest. If they are large black carpenter ants, they are attracted to water so look for and correct any water leaks. They may leave visible piles of sawdust looking debris along the walls and generate a rustling sound as they excavate your woodwork. Call a professional, or follow the ants back to their colony and destroy it. Killing individual ants is fruitless as for every one you see, there are numerous others you don't see. Your local extension office should have info on the ants specific to your location.
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2008, 04:15 PM
    They are actually coming from behind the sink so Scleros might be right. I'll get in touch with a professional and in the meantime will try the sweet n low. Thanks guys!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
    You can use the sweet n low outside if you have discovered where the primary nest is.
    CakeLady Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Apr 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
    We live right next to a huge set of woods, so ants here are particularly difficult! The best thing I've EVER used for ants was HOME DEFENSE by Ortho. Bar none.

It comes in a huge jug with a sprayer attachment on it for like $15 at Home Depot or Lowe's, Wal-Mart.

Follow the directions, spray inside and outside of the home along the base of the house, etc. You won't have a nasty smell, it dries quickly so pets are safe, and it works wonders!

I had tried everything for two years. One full treatment with that stuff every year---no more nasty ants!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nutrasweet for ants! [ 2 Answers ]

Just FYI: I'm trying the old Equal trick for ants this week. It seems that people are really unsure if it actually works, worsens, or is irrelevant. So far, I have simply emptied two packets of equal along a very busy ant trail. They were interested, but not frenzied over it. Oh, and I had...

Fire Ants [ 5 Answers ]

I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.

Help With Ants [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a very sandy area and have lots of leaf cutter ants. (I'm not sure that is the correct name) The ants are red and have long spidery legs. They make trails when they are searching for whatever they are going to cut down. You may have a flower bed with beautiful flowers in it today and by...

Ants in my home [ 6 Answers ]

Dose anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of ants, something that's safe for kids to be around?

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

View more questions Search