Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolsreek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Social Security / Medical Withheld during OPT - Format of Employee Letter to IRS
    I was on OPT till July 13, 2005 and switched to H1 from July 14 2005. I am a NR Alien for Tax puropose as I have been on H1B < 183 days. My employer withheld Social Security and Medicare Tax while I was on OPT as they did not have a separate system for not taking those taxes.

I want to file Form 843 to claim a refund on those taxes. Does anyone know the format of the letter that my employer needs to provide which says that they refused to refund Social Security and Medicare Tax which they withheld from me while I was on OPT. What other information needs to be included in the letter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sree
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 11:02 PM
    Sree:

No special format. Just make sure it is on company letter, mentioned you by name and SSN/ITIN, and states that they refuse to refund the SS and Medicare taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

Social security tax and medical tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The following is my visa status I came to us in aug 2002 under f1 visa and started my opt feb 2005 and I changed my visa to h1b (oct 2005). After going through the IRS website , I came to a conclusion that I am a non resident alien. So I decided to go with 1040NR-EZ. Now I have a...

View more questions Search