Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Apr 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Embed a video in an email
    I need the universal code for embedding a video in an email and have it set for autoplay.
    So that when the user opens the email, the movies starts playing immediately.

Aprox 10 seconds of video and sound.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam
    I need the universal code for embedding a video in an email and have it set for autoplay.
    Those codes aren't given out to just anybody because spammers would be in heaven should they get ahold of one. Until you're deemed worthy and receive your code, the only way to send video by email is by joining a service designed for sending video by email, or attaching a video file to the email itself. Neither option is particularly welcome by recipients without prior notification. Dialup and other low bandwidth users especially will curse your name if you send them a 10 second video that takes them 12 hours to download.

A better method is to host the video on your own web server and send a pretty HTML formatted email message that contains a play link or embedded play control to the video on your server.

Disclaimer: This post contains at least 80% facts.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 10:38 AM
    It really doesn't matter what you want to embed in an email, if the recipient's email settings are not set to HTML be default then it won't be seen. Due to incidents of abuse in the past most are NOT set to HTML by default.
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Apr 14, 2008, 11:52 AM
    I see. Well Ive been able to do that.

What about embedding a sound clip to autoplay in the email?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 03:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam
    What bout embedding a sound clip to autoplay in the email?
    Embedding any auto-executing content is going to require special support to do so because the security risk for the recipient is too great. Your video or sound clip could just as easily be a virus that erases their whole machine. And frankly, given the recent published flaws in Adobe Flash and Windows GDI components, and the increasing sophistication of spam, I'm contemplating alternatives to email and/or sandboxing it before allowing messages to reach my personal machines.

I think the only way for multimedia/other embedment to become commonplace is with IPv6 and an infrastructure that doesn't allow for anonymous senders.
    filthbags Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
    If its any help I have a email with a YouTube video embedded into to it if that will help you ( you could upload your video to YouTube and mess about with the code )
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Well the original question was asked in 2008 just before YouTube got really popular.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email Our troops and be email pen pals [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know how we can email our women and men serving our country. I think it would be great to have overseas pen pals. To be able to talk to them, and let them know we support them . And give the other people to talk to state side.

Video Email [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone use video email and if so how is the quality?

Video and sound on my iPod video [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I got an iPod nano for Christmas and I can put videos on it but there is no sound to the videos. Got any anwers?

DVD video and video/rom [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a difference between a dvd video and a dvd video/rom? I have seen this designation on the cover. I have tried 3 different dvd's of the same movie and none will play. I am trying to play on a regular dvd player and other movies play fine. What's up?

Ripping DVD Video to VCD Video [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rip my DVD video to VCD Video files. Is there out any freeware to do this. Please let me know the link for that. Thanx:rolleyes:

View more questions Search