Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nugget1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Craftman ride on mower
    I have an old tractor, an it stop working.
    I thought it needed a new battery so I bought one, but it still does not want to start.
    All I hear when I turn the ignition switch is a clicking sound but he motor will not turn over.
    What do I do?
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Apr 14, 2008, 08:51 AM
    First try to turn the engine over by hand to ensure that the engine is not seized. If the engine is not seized then you have a bad solenoid or starter. The solenoid is the part bolted to the starter that is about the size of a D cell battery that the wires bolt to. Remove the starter and take it to an authorized serviced center and they will check it for you for free. They will also be able to determine if it is the solenoid (relatively cheap) or the starter (relatively expensive).

If you have a friend that is a mechanic, you can ask him or her if they would mind trying to "jump" you solenoid. They can do this with a screwdriver (if they know what they are doing). This will also diagnose it (i.e. if it can be jumped it is the solenoid that is bad, if it can't be jumped it is the starter)

IF THIS ANSWER HELPED YOU PLEASE RATE IT.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Could be the solenoid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftman rider mower won't cut [ 7 Answers ]

I have a craftman rider that I changed the belt and blades and it won't cut. Blades slows or stops when high grass is met. Doesn't sound like it used to. Any idea from someone with more knowledge than me.

MTD Ride on Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a MTD ride on mower which came with the house I have just moved into It used to start and run okay, but now it seems to start and once a load is put on it seems to lose power after awhile and stop. Once it cools down it start s okay and the same thing happens again. Now...

1998 Craftman Riding Lawn Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm writing this question over since my husband writes better in spanish than english:D Okay, our neighbor gave us this riding lawn mower. It took awhile to start only after I set the little screw on the front which I think is the float (? ). Whatever it is, when I adjusted it, my husband...

Craftman riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 20Hp Craftman tiding mower that turned off and won't restart! Any suggestions? The enginge turns over but it will not engage. This is a fairly new one year old model which I never had a problem with before. Any suggestions would help. Thank you

View more questions Search