Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twbffl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems
    Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this:

1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e. 5/8 inch plywood and than 1/4 inch cement board)? And than put new tile down.

2. How do you tell if a cast iron flange is worn out? (Note: ours is not level right now).

3. Is it better to just have a plumber come out and replace the flange versus doing #1?

4. Also, I have seen comments both ways: Do you put the flange of top of the new tile or do you attached it directly to the subfloor or the underlayment on top of the subfloor?

Thanks,

Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Hi Tom,
    1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e. 5/8 inch plywood and than 1/4 inch cement board)? and than put new tile down.
    Yes, If that makes the flange set between 1/4" under the tile to setting level on the tile floor.
    2. How do you tell if a cast iron flange is worn out? (Note: ours is not level right now).
    Cast iron flanges don't "wear out" they break. Take a block of wood and a hammer and put the block close to the inside of the flange and tap until it's level. Note; (To lower a cas iron flange tap all the way around until the drsired level is reached. The lead joint will have to be recaulked after you do this.)
    3. Is it better to just have a plumber come out and replace the flange versus doing #1?
    Why spend the money when you already have a working flange in place?
    4. Also, I have seen comments both ways: Do you put the flange of top of the new tile or do you attached it directly to the subfloor or the underlayment on top of the subfloor?
    We leave the tile man to do the floor and then come in, set the flange on top of the tile and then install the toilet and other fixtures.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom
    twbffl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Tom,
    1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e. 5/8 inch plywood and than 1/4 inch cement board)? and than put new tile down.
    Yes, If that makes the flange set between 1/4" under the tile to setting level on the tile floor.
    Cast iron flanges don't "wear out" they break. Take a block of wood and a hammer and put the block close to the inside of the flange and tap untill it's level. Note; (To lower a cas iron flange tap all the way around untill the drsired level is reached. The lead joint will have to be recaulked after you do this.)
    Why spend the money when yoiu already have a working flange in place?
    We leave the tile man to do the floor and then come in, set the flange on top of the tile and then install the toilet and other fixtures.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Speedball1,
    Thanks for the quick answers. Can you clarify your answer in #1, where you mention the flange sitting 1/4" under the tile to setting level on the tile floor.
    Is 1/4" under mean the tile is 1/4" under the flange (gap between flange and tile) or are you meaning the flange can be up to 1/4" below the top of the tile? Thanks again, you have been very helpful.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2006, 01:05 PM
    I meant the flange may set UNDER the top of the tile 1/4" Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to move toilet left 1" (cast iron) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My current problem is I have cast iron plumbing in a concrete floor in a basement. Once the walls were finished and the new travertine floor in I noticed that the center of the toilet flange was only about 10.5" from the wall. This would make it a little tight on the left side when...

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Remove cast iron flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches...

Problems with toilet flange [ 15 Answers ]

The problem I'm having is I'm installing a new toilet. Im also raised the floor 1/4" and have new tile down. i installed the new toilet flange to the soil pipe and then the toilet. The problem is when you flush it leaks (i can see the leak from downstairs) from where the toilet flange goes over the...

Shower flange"cast iron" [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.

View more questions Search