Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charliere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Nys vehicle title transfer question
    I have recently transferred a nys title to my 2000 kia sportage to my daughter by signing the back of the title and dating it. Subsequent to this the car was seized by NYS for a 12 year old judgement. I stated that the car was transferred on the date signed on the back of the title and the official from nys told me it's not transferred until re-titled. Does anyone know the law here? I really need to recover her car as it was her money that purchased it. THanks Charlie
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Hello Charlie:

>>>Does anyone know the law here?<<<

Well, I don't know it as well as anyone doesn’t. And, I certainly don't know NY law. But, that’s never stopped me before. Having said all that, I DO have an opinion. It comes in two parts. The first part is, don't get your legal advice from bureaucrat - especially one who wants your car. And two, I think the bureaucrat is right. Certainly, anyone could sign a title over to someone AFTER a car is repossessed and claim otherwise. Kind of like you're doing here. At least it could look that way to the state.

In any event, the state isn't going to release your car unless you can prove your case. And, I'll bet you won't be able to do that without the services of a lawyer. Even with a lawyer, your car is probably gone.

Bummer, Charlie.

excon

-----------------------------------

My advice is not legal advice because I'm not a lawyer. I'm an exconvict. If you take my advice and lose your case, good luck trying to sue me!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with the answer before mine.
    I'm not a lawyer either, and don't know NYS laws. However, they could be similar to VA, in which I live. A vehicle is not yet "legally titled" until it has gone through the VA Department of Motor Vechicles, and a title issued with that person's name on it.
    Reason? Anyone can sign the back of a title, anytime, and put any date on it. The only recourse would be that if the signature (and date) had been notorized by a Notary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yet Another late 80s early 90s title question... [ 2 Answers ]

This one was a movie where a girl and I believe her father wind up stranded at a strange trailer park in the desert because their car breaks down or something of the sort. The teenage girl befriends a couple of guys, one who is a "bad boy" type and one is sort of nerdy. I remember the nerd had a...

Title transfer during sale of manufacture home question? [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my wife sold our home in oct of last year 04 and we just received a tax bill for the property taxes.We have not even lived in the home for a year. I am trying to get a hold of the people that sold our home for us but they have not called us back yet. Does anyone know if the people that...

View more questions Search