Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Avasean Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Pregnancy & Tattoos
    Ok... There is a high possibility that I am pregnant. I would only be 4 weeks or so. I haven't seen a doctor, because I don't have any insurance. There is no state aided help that I can get that I am aware of... since I am married. I haven't taken a home pregnancy test, yet. So, I don't know for sure if I am pregnant or not.

NOW... on to the question... I've heard that if you get a tattoo while you are pregnant, then it could send the baby into shock. Then again, I have heard that that is not true. I got a tattoo yesterday afternoon, so I don't know.

Can anyone give me any advice on this please?

Thanks...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 09:09 PM
    You have money for a tattoo but not for a doctors visit?

I found the following on the internet, I'm not sure how accurate it is, but you can do research on your own, just go to google and search tattoos while pregnant, a whole list of sites will show up. This was the best info I found, but I did not do an extensive search.:

The main concern with getting a tattoo during pregnancy is the risk of contracting an infection, such as Hepatitis B and HIV. Although the risk is small, it is recommended that you wait to get a tattoo after your baby is born.

You will be very interested to know that little information is available about the safety of skin dyes used for tattooing during pregnancy. It is possible that the chemicals in the dye may affect the development of the baby during the first 12 weeks, but the risks are unknown, as are any effects on the baby during the remainder of the pregnancy.

Some women may have also heard that if they have a tattoo on their back, then they will be unable to get an epidural. Very few studies have been done on the risks that could exist for women who have back tattoos and receive an epidural. So far none of these studies have conclusively found any data that shows that there are risks, so most anesthesiologists have no problem giving an epidural to a woman with a back tattoo. If you want an epidural and have a tattoo on your back, it still would be best to contact the hospital and find out the policy in regard to tattoos and epidurals.

Having said that I would do more research, I'm not sure of the accuracy of the info I found. Hopefully someone who knows more about this topic will come and offer some advice.

Good Luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Avasean
    Ok...There is a high possibility that I am pregnant. I would only be 4 weeks or so. I haven't seen a doctor, because I don't have any insurance. There is no state aided help that I can get that I am aware of...since I am married. I haven't taken a home pregnancy test, yet. So, I don't know for sure if I am pregnant or not.

NOW...on to the question...I've heard that if you get a tattoo while you are pregnant, then it could send the baby into shock. Then again, I have heard that that is not true. I got a tattoo yesterday afternoon, so I don't know.

Can anyone give me any advice on this please?

Thanks...
    You won't send baby into shock, but as Altenweg mentioned, it is not usually recommended due to a possible infection risk. It's not likely, but even if it happens to a small percentage of women, why take the risk if you don't have to. You see the same thing with having your hair dyed. It is likely safe, and plenty of women do so without an issue, but not enough studies have been done to make a definitive statement, so it is often suggested to forego it during pregnancy, or at least wait until after the first 12 weeks.
    The dyes used today in tattoos are not the same as years back, but there is testing currently underway to determine just how safe they are for everyone... all the more reason to avoid if you can in pregnancy.
    As far as medical assistance, check out Medicaid... they have a program for pregnant women if you qualify.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Apr 14, 2008, 04:48 AM
    What is done is done and you can't change that. If I were you I would take a hpt and see if you are indeed pregnant before freaking out about getting a tattoo. You might be worried for nothing.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
    The big risk of getting a tattoo while pregnant is possible infection. If you get an infection while pregnant, it is not so good for the baby. Make sure you take real good care of it.

Tattoo ink does not go into your bloodstream, so you do not have to worry about ink poisoning. Tattoo ink does not go any further than the dermal layer of your skin. Just make sure you do not get an infection.

Get to the doctor right away so you can ensure you get the best possible care for your baby! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tattoos (sin?) [ 150 Answers ]

The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question. Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? I have thought...

Pain/Discomfort Regarding Tattoos [ 5 Answers ]

First off I already have one tattoo on my lower back of my daughters name and it was painful when the tattoo artist went over my spine but the other parts weren't bad. My question is I am going to get more this month. 2 more on my back and I am prepared for those... but I am going to get music...

First Tattoos [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering, is it wise to get 2 tattoos at once? I'm not talking about huge ones or anything, just one along the small of my back and one on my wrist. I'm only asking because they will be my first tattoos and I want to know if because of that I should just get them done one at a...

Removing tattoos [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I want to know how tattoos are removed. Is it painfull?? Is it expensive??

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search