Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KDG2727 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 09:52 AM
    "Belly" in basement sewage line - options??
    Thanks for looking in.

Here is the situation. I had our basement finished 4 years ago to include the addition of a full bath using the existing roughins. We noticed overtime the basement toilet will not drain properly after flushing. We'll have to plunge it and occasionally this has caused the sewage to back up into the bath tub drain. After 10 minutes of plunging and running the bath water, things can be basically be made operational - until the next time.

This problem did not reveal itself when we accepted the job (toilet didn't leak and flushed OK, what else was there to check? ), but it has become more of a headache, especially as we get ready to sell.

We had a plumber come out and snake the toilet with a camera and sure enough there is a "belly" in the line where the slope of the pipe not as it should be. At this point I believe the only option is to dig up the concrete (about 15') in my finished basement to correct the problem. I haven't got an estimate yet, but I'm expecting one for several thousand dollars.

So now for my questions:

1 - Will any of the "flush mate"- type power toilets alleviate this problem? Is relaying the pipe really my only option (other than living with it?)

2 - The basement remodeller is still in business. I have not called him yet. This appears to me to be a construction issue that has just taken awhile to rear it head (We've had problems for 2-3 years but figured we maybe just had some blockage, etc.). Any advice or odds on my getting the builder to take some or all of the responsibility to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Ken
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Hi Ken,
    1 - Will any of the "flush mate"- type power toilets alleviate this problem? Is relaying the pipe really my only option (other than living with it?)

Before I can answer that question I need to know if the "bell" is in the main drain or the branch from the toilet. In other words I want to know what all's draining through the line that's belled.

2 - The basement remodeller is still in business. I have not called him yet. This appears to me to be a construction issue that has just taken awhile to rear it head (We've had problems for 2-3 years but figured we maybe just had some blockage, etc.). Any advice or odds on my getting the builder to take some or all of the responsibility to fix this?

Unless the contractor's a family member, a good friend or a really nice dude 2 years is streaching his warranty really thin. A lot can happen in two years and that's just what he's going to say. Sorry I couldn'tv be more positive. Tom

Feb 15, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure how to answer you questions on where the dip in the line or "belly" is. I'll try describing what I saw when the camera snaked down the line.

As the camera was placed down the toilet drain opening it ran for 3 feet and then encountered water. In the pipe It was impossible to see anything why the camera was in the water/sewage. The camera emerged from the water at about the 6 foot line and continued along (dry) for 20+ feet. In that 20' I saw drainage into the main pipe by the washing machine (had soap bubbles coming in) and one other line. My uneducated guess is that the toilet belly connected into the main sewage line but I'm unclear if it is part of that main line or part of an offshoot to that mainline. I fear it is the later. The pipe looked to be about 4" wide.

I realize this is not much to go on. Any thought you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Hey Ken,

"I realize this is not much to go on." Not so! You told me exactly where the bell was. I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that the main is OK and the bad news is that the bells in the bathroom branch and will have to be exposed and the bell repaired or you'll have a ongoing problem.
    You ask, " Will any of the "flush mate"- type power toilets alleviate this problem?"
    A power flush gets the discharge out of the bowl. It does not assist in the drainage.
    " Is relaying the pipe really my only option (other than living with it?)"
    Sorry, but it sure looks that way. Of course it's the plumbing contractors fault and it would have been his responsibility to repair it at no charge under warranty if only you had complained in a timely fashon, but two years is not considered a "timely fashon". Sorry I couldn't be more upbeat. Tom

Feb 17, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Many thanks Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

Use of a "chorus line" of a song by Bob Marley to print onto a shirt... [ 10 Answers ]

Hello! Would anyone know if it is illegal to print a paragraph or phrase or chorus of one of Bob Marley's songs onto a shirt to sell for retail? Thanks, sky68

View more questions Search