Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaysue21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Dvd ripper
    Hi all I'm just wondering what the best dvd ripper is:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 09:57 AM
    Hi, jaysue,
    You may not get many answers on your question at all.
    DVD rippers are not legal, especially if the DVD is copywrited.
    RootLevel Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Feb 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi, jaysue,
    You may not get many answers on your question at all.
    DVD rippers are not legal, especially if the DVD is copywrited.

You ARE allowed to back up a personally owned dvd for personal use. You CAN NOT go rent them or borrow from your friends and then copy them. If dvd rippers were illegal why would best buy and circuit city sell a half a dozen different titles each?

Personally I use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. Do a Google search on them. I like them because, when it's a long movie or when I want to cut out the special features, it shrinks the movie down so I can put it on a single layer dvd.

Feb 15, 2006, 07:44 AM
    No comments anyone?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RootLevel
    you ARE allowed to back up a personally owned dvd for personal use. you CAN NOT go rent them or borrow from your friends and then copy them. if dvd rippers were illegal why would best buy and circuit city sell a half a dozen different titles each?

personally i use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. do a google search on them. i like them because, when its a long movie or when i want to cut out the special features, it shrinks the movie down so i can put it on a single layer dvd.
    Copyright laws do allow making copies of copyrighted material for personal use. However, US law makes creating and distributing software that can be used to to circumvent DVD copyright protections illegal.

The DVD Copy utilities that are available in stores do not allow copying of copyrighted disks.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 15, 2006, 10:24 AM
    I like to encode my DVD's to my computer because I want access to them. It's the same concept as having all my music on my iPod. I have access whenever and wherever I am.

I haven't had much luck with many of those all-in-one products. I use DVD Decrypter to extract the movie and then encode it to an AVI file using Videomi (http://www.vidomi.com/).

I know – Technically, I am violating the law by decrypting the DVD.
    But you know what? I purchased the DVD to watch the movie. I don't think it's anyone's business whether I want to watch the movie on my laptop, in my home DVD player, or on my iPod.

For the record - I am against piracy, and I certainly would consider trading, sharing, or duplication of movies I have encoded as piracy.

Feb 17, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Just drop the last ) off the link then it works.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 17, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Sorry - link is fixed now... ;)

Feb 17, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Please look at this thread
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=21008
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2006, 04:56 PM
    I use 1ClickDVDcopy to make my backups and it's usually rated no. 1 around the net.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Feb 22, 2006, 04:08 AM
    It all depends on what you want to back up..
    Is it a dual layer or single layer?. some programs can't do dual yet
    Do you want to choose a certain language to keep?. because if you choose to keep all.. at least on a single layer 4.7GB.. the picture quality will suffer..
    Do you want to keep subtitles in certain lanuguages?. some programs won't let you choose the language
    Do you have a decrypter?some programs include them some do not

I personally like the CloneDVD 2.0 by Slysoft and AnyDVD by Slysoft
    It offers many choices of audio formats to keep.. very easy to learn.. easily updated.. and come on WHO Doesn't LOVE THOSE 2 COOL SHEEPS ON THE FRONT.. FOR PETE'S SAKE THEY EAT POPCORN AS THE MOVIE IS ENCODING!! lol
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Hi Tommy,

I use, to use Clone DVD and Anydvd all the time, then after replaying many of my copies, I would see the artifacts in the picture, sometimes just a little bit, others, a lot more, and for whatever reason, always near the middle and or end of the copies.

I tested it thoroughly many times against 1clickdvdcopy, their newest version, which is the best, and with 20 copies each, on the same movies, 1click only had 3 movies, with very minor artifacts in the picture and Clone had 10 that did, and one was completely unwatchable, but I must say I still do like Clone and keep it as my backup, DVDShrink, is the one I use for the very few that these 2 won't work on, I have run into a small percentage that it happens to.

Either would be a good choice, but if your going to pay full price and buy one of them, I would have to say 1ClickDVDcopy is more worth the cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jack the Ripper identified. [ 7 Answers ]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,29389-2269526,00.html Read the link. Interesting ugh? I think this was Jack the Ripper.

Jack the Ripper responses [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know a site or a book that has some responses to the Jack the ripper murders by eyewitnesses and the media. I need this for a very important history assignment. Please help!

Jack The Ripper [ 8 Answers ]

I am doing a psychology project on Jack The Ripper. I need to write a report about his psycological make-up, and history. Do you have any information for me? Also, has there been any new evidence proving or disproving who actually committed the murders? Thanks-

View more questions Search