Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarah48375 Posts: 85, Reputation: 13

Apr 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
    How do I keep from breaking her heart too.
    This question goes with a previous question. My new question doesn't have anything to do with question I asked before, but if you're wonder why we're breaking up... this will answer that question.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...st-204824.html

How do I tell my daughter that I'm ending things with my current boyfriend. It's a sensitive situation. I want her to have a healthy attitude about ending relationships. Keep in perspective that the two of them have not spend an excessive amount of time together (maybe once a month), but enough that she cares for him. Any suggestions? She's 6 years old.
    anonymous_in_pa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
    It's never easy to explain to a child that they will no longer have contact with someone you know they care about. You could have an open dialogue with your child about the person. Tell your child that things didn't work out, and that while that person cares very much for her, it is likely they won't be coming around anymore. You should try to get her to talk about her feelings with you. And, as a parent taking her daughters feelings into such consideration, you should try to really listen to your daughter so she will know that you love her, and this is just a part of life. You could relate it to another person in her life that she may not see often, and may not see again to help her to understand. For example, every time I take my 4 y/o to the park she gets really attached to the kids she meets. She always hopes to see them again. Chances are more likely that she won't run into them again. But, she always asks me about these kids. I always try to tell her about how people come in and out of our lives very quickly sometimes, and we just have to savor every moment we have with people, because you never know when it will be the last time.

Just an aside, I would be careful about bringing guys around your 6y/o. I understand that you are moving on with your life and you are trying to make a new family, but your 6y/o can be damaged very easily by a random relationship in many ways. Try to make sure that the next 'guy' you introduce her to and have her spending time with, is 'the one', so that your daughter isn't becoming attached to guys that are just coming and going... the way you are becoming attached to them. The dating relationship is much too complex and mature of a scenario for a 6y/o. Let your daughter be a child, she'll grow up much too quickly if you put her in those situations too quickly, and too often.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Not only becoming attached but when moms have many bf's through the years I think it can cause the children to take relationships more casually.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
    I was just adding on to the previous reply of reasons it is not good to bring home too many 'daddy's'. I know many girls who bring home a new guy many times a year. Not that you would do that. I was just agreeing with the previous reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking up with someone, heart breaking [ 4 Answers ]

Basically I've only been with my boyfriend for 2 months, but its not working for many reasons. I have a horrible feeling he is seriously taking advantage of me in many many ways and all he is after is sex and money. He says he loves me and I mean the world to him, he needs me, he adores me, his...

I'm in love but my heart is breaking! [ 4 Answers ]

I lyk this guy. He knows that I do because I told him. He keeps playing with my feelings and it hurts so bad I must be dyin. Example: he deliberately comes up to me with his girlfriend and flirts with her right in front of me! HELP ME! B4 I Die! :(

His breaking my heart and myself [ 1 Answers ]

I have a co-worker who I'm going crazy for. I think I'm in love with him but the problem is he knows but I don't think he cares. I really.. like him a lot and I'm afraid that the feeling is growing bigger and I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to carry on and the only think of is suicide. I want to...

My heart is breaking [ 12 Answers ]

I met this guy in turkey and he was so cool I fell in love with him now I'm home the only contact we have is msn he says he loves me but I think that he might say that to every girl he meets help me what is your view on this? :confused:

Heart Breaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, To make a long story short my daughter is going to be 4 yrs old, and I am married to her step father but he has been her dad for 2 1/2 years. I am a stay at home mom and my husband provides for us in the fullest. The battle with my daughters biological father has been never ending. He...

View more questions Search