Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aspain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time
    Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Sure you can do this. If there is a division of how you get paid such as clerical work and sales commission then it is perfectly legal. It just means that you have to pay the taxes on whatever you earn on commissions yourself through the 1099.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 09:53 AM
    1099-Misc income is reported on schedule C. It is also subject to SE tax at 15.3% unless you are exempt.

How you will treat the 1099-Misc income, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 or 1099: Employee or Independent Contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 employee [ 12 Answers ]

I will be starting a part-time job doing some accounting work and the company that is hiring me said they will be giving me a 1099 form instead of w-2. I realize I have to pay taxes on my own, but I have the following questions: 1. Do I have to pay taxes quarterly? 2. Since I don't own this...

Form 1099 vs. Employee [ 5 Answers ]

I've recently started my own cleaning business and I am trying to find the best way to go about having the people that currently work for me to pay for their taxes. I just started, therefore, I do not have much work for them to do, but they have completed a couple of hours for which I paid them...

1099 Misc Box 7 but I am an employee [ 4 Answers ]

Besides my usual W-2, I received a 1099 Misc from my employer with the income reported in Box 7 as non employee compensation. Clearly, I am an employee and don't have a business. When I try to file, this becomes a very complicated issue. Any similar experiences? Does anyone know how to file...

1099 but I'm a full time employee [ 5 Answers ]

I got a 1099 from my employer for working caterings. Some are off site of the restaurant I work in and some are weddings in the restaurant. I am a full time waiter/bartender in the restaurant is it legal for her to 1099 me when I am her employee? Thanks, Mark R

View more questions Search