Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnd423 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Harassed by landlord and building staff
    In 2006 I received a letter ordering me to get rid of one of my dogs.I wrote a letter back stating my rights and the nyc pet laws.Nowhere in my lease doesn't state that I could only have 1 dog.They let it go because they knew I was right. A year later I received the same letter and again disputed it. Now that they know they can't get me on that the landlord,super,1 doorman and the president of the coop board have all worked together to decide that my family does not clean up after my dogs which they do.My children ages 18 and 13 are followed and stared at each time they walk the dogs.My son was verbally abused by the coop president.My super even lied and said he saw it himself.Every other building worker was asked and responded that they have never seen that happen,they always see us picking up. Of course they can't publicly defend me and risk their jobs. How can I get this to stop? My children should not be afraid to walk the dogs and I should not have to feel sick coming home.Any help would be appreciated.
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Don't know a lot in this area, but one suggestion... get a video camera and have your kids film themselves walking the dog. They can get on film them cleaning up after the dog (even though a lawyer can say they only did that due to being filmed) AND if they are being followed keep putting the person following them on film to show that.
    Keep track of all letters and phone calls, just make sure you keep all the letters you get! Record your phone calls with them, but you have got to tell them you are recording the phone call and make sure your saying that is on the tape.
    I think you may have a case against the building, but not positive. I'm thinking if you do all this, and make it clear to them that you are doing these things, they should just back off. If not, phone a lawyer!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by svatnsdal
    Don't know a lot in this area, but one suggestion... get a video camera and have your kids film themselves walking the dog. They can get on film them cleaning up after the dog (even though a lawyer can say they only did that due to being filmed) AND if they are being followed keep putting the person following them on film to show that.
    Keep track of all letters and phone calls, just make sure you keep all the letters you get! Record your phone calls with them, but you have got to tell them you are recording the phone call and make sure your saying that is on the tape.
    I think you may have a case against the building, but not positive. I'm thinking if you do all this, and make it clear to them that you are doing these things, they should just back off. If not, phone a lawyer!

Absolutely incorrect concerning the phone calls - in NYS as long as ONE OF THE PARTIES is aware of the taping it's perfectly legal. You obviously cannot record third party calls.

As you have pointed out several times - the laws in Canada and the US are different and, as you suggested, perhaps we should all stick to questions concerning our own particular State, Province or country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Staff infection [ 2 Answers ]

Is it 100% guarantee that you can get a staff infection after you had a contact?

Snappy staff! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old staffordshire bull terrier, I got her as a rescue 3 months ago. The previous owner couldn't home her but had bred her excessively. I also have a male labrador and 5 children. Up until now the staffy has been fine but last night when my son was petting the labrador she went and...

Florida Landlord Building Code Responsibilities [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter recently signed a lease for her first apartment. The lease states that the apartment will be accepted "as is". However, I feel there is a building code problem. The apartment is on the second floor, and there is a small deck/balcony - wood constructed. The deck suffers from major...

View more questions Search