Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traeve Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Sliding glass door track damaged
    I Have A Wavy Track For My Slider. The Door Just Bumps Over It. It Is Not The Rollers For Sure. It Is A 12 Foot Opening That The First 3 Foot Door Is The Problem. Is There A Repair For This? It Works Awful And Sounds Like A Train Coming.

Thanks
    Steve
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
    What company made your door? Most mid to upper quality doors have replacable tracks. Also some sliding doors run a two tracks... upper and lower... if you are luckey and have both... some have an ajustment for the upper track rollers... you may be able to raise the door slightly and get over the bumps... Good Luck
    Mike
    SliderMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2008, 05:53 PM
    There is a $50 fix for your $2000 problem with the worn sliding glass door rail. Rail Topper
    See example of worn rail and rail topper installed at bottom of this page.
    Get the rail topper HERE
    It comes in 6' 8' and 10' lengths
    Easy fix for any homeowner. Also if you can't do it yourself just about any HandyMan could put it in for you.
    SliderMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
    The small rail topper will snap over the good parts of you bad rail. That's what basically holds it in place. As the user above mentioned, the last 3 or so feet were really what was messed up. Even then, the last 3 or 4 inches there is no wear from the rollers. I sell 40 or more of these a month and have had 2 people so far that were not smart enough to put them on properly and could not get them to work. I will place another installation picture on my site for people to see.
    SliderGirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Anyone in the SouthWest Florida area, specifically Lee, Charlotte or Collier Counties, can call SliderMan Inc.
    Their toll free # is 866-594-1969 you might have to dial 1 first if calling from a land line. SliderMan will make your patio doors slide like new! In most cases a wavy or rippled rail is caused by the bad roller. When the bearings in a roller goes bad it starts to make noise and it gets wobbly. If you see a good amount of black in the track it is probably time to change out your rollers before it creates more damage to the rail. Unfortunately most rail is a soft aluminum and when the bad roller goes back and forth over and over you get ripples which only get worse with time.
    Sometimes we see large dips in the rail and sometimes it is mashed down pretty badly. My point is that if your track is producing a large amount of black graphite, then its time to have your rollers replaced. Your door should roll with one finger and keep on going when you push. Your door should also be silent. We also carry locks, handles, weatherstripping, stainless steel rail cap for damaged tracks, over 140 different types of rollers and much more!
    So call SliderMan toll free and get an estimate over the phone. If you would like, Google SliderMan in N Ft Myers, FL and read all the great reviews our wonderful customers have left or visit www.sliderman.com for more information. We look forward to speaking with you in regards to your specific sliding glass door repair needs.
    SliderGirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 10:06 PM

Just for the record, SliderMan Inc. applies the rail cap with a sound deadening adheasive which creates a rubber like layer between the old rail and the new stainless steel rail cap. This works well to keep sound transfer down to a minimum, especially in a condo or townhouse setting. We stock our trucks with 6,8,10 and 12 foot pieces. Don't like the black in your track? Ask us apply rail cap with your new roller replacement systems. We specialize in upgrading from mfg's rollers to precision bearing, tandem or stainless steel rollers which last much longer than typical rollers. SliderMan Inc. SliderMan, Inc. of FL Home Page
    Bill454 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 02:44 PM
    I just went to the hardware store and got 1/4" angle and cut the old track out and screwed the angle in place the whole cost of the project was $8.00 and about two hours of my time and the door slides like it is on glass

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding glass door [ 2 Answers ]

My sliding glass door to the patio, after your lock it and check it, moves a little bit to the left. It is still locked, but it moves. Is this normal and safe?

Cleaning sliding glass door track [ 2 Answers ]

My track is preventing my sliding glass doors from opening and closing smoothly. How can this be remedied? Thanks, MHeape

Sliding glass door [ 1 Answers ]

I need basic instructions for installing a sliding glass door. Irene

Sliding Glass Door is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sliding glass door that leaks when it rains heavily. Our house is 18 years old and the door leads out to a wooden deck. The deck is about one inch below the door frame. It is a good quality wooden door manufactured by Peachtree. This has caused some damage to our hardwood flooring near...

Sliding glass door problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a laminate floor in a kitchen on top of an inch and one half sub floor. The bottom of our Andersen vinyl clad sliding glass door barely clears the floor and this without any threshold. The door wheels are set at their highest position and the top of the door rubs against...

View more questions Search