Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdittman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Replaced hot water stem in shower and now no water.
    I am trying to replace the hot water stem in my bathtub and I got it changed out and when I turned the water on nothing. Took it off and turned the water on and water sprayed out and again I put it on and nothing. I am a complete novice with this, there is another piece that came with the stem and looks like there is a piece in the pipe. Am I supposed to replace that also? And is could that be why there is no water. I tried to screw it out but it won't budge. I would appreciate anyone's help. The house was built in the 70's and I have been in it about 4 years. So it may be the original stem for all I know.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Did you pick up another stem or is this the original? Where does the water not come out of? The spout? The shower head? Where? Why were you repairing it in the first place? If the piece that came with the stem is like a small ring of brass then it's a seat. That metal left in the valve. Run something around in there and tell me if there are any nicks or rough spots. Do you have a brand name for the valve? Back to you, Tom
    jdittman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 12:02 PM
    It is a new stem. The old one broke and would not turn off. The water does not come out of the faucet or the shower head when I turn the water on. It is a seat that came with it. I don't think there are any nicks. Is it the old seat that I see in there, if so how do I get it out to replace it. It will not budge. The new stem is hot stem 7E-5H for Indiana brass.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Did you pick up another stem or is this the original? Where does the water not come out of? The spout? the shower head? Where? Why were you repairing it in the first place? If the piece that came with the stem is like a small ring of brass then it's a seat. That metal left in the valve. Run something around in there and tell me if there are any nicks or rough spots. Do you have a brand name for the valve? Back to you, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Hi Jdittman:

Just a quick question while you are working with Tom... when you tested the water flow out the hot and got nothing from shower head/tub spout, did you also test the cold water and see if got water from shower head/tub spout?

Confirm that you are getting full cold water flow from both shower head and tub spout. If not, diverter could be clogged.Let us know.

Otherwise, seats are removed using a seat wrench (see Tom's picture.. it is right in there at bottom right). However, I don't think that is your issue at this point.

Answer my question... Tom will post back soon... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced water heater, no pressure or hot water [ 46 Answers ]

I have just replaced my old water heater, and now I don't have hot water and my kitchen pressure is low, but the bath has good pressure. What could be the problem here? It's a brand new water heater so the elements couldn't have gone out could they?

Stem for hot water [ 1 Answers ]

When you replace the stem for the hot water, do you have to use a sealer or what? Thanks

I have a stem shower and can't get the hot water to shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my hot water to shut off in the bath. I believe it's a compression system with a stem.

No water after shower stem repair [ 2 Answers ]

My shower faucet and handles had some minor dripping problems, so I decided to repair the hot and cold stems (2 handle shower stall). I got a repair kit and replaced the washers and changed the seats, but when I put the stems back and turned the water back on, there is no flow to the shower head!...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search