Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Buckminster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 07:34 PM
    John Deere L120 mobility/transmission
    To:Esquire 1 and others,
    I have a JD L120 mower 4yrs. Old w/ 82 hrs. use. It now will only move forward or rev. 8 to 10 ft. very,very slowly.It's as if it's in a bind or trans. Isn't working properly.I have maintained it very well. Any suggestions? ----Buckminster
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 08:29 PM
    You have been maintaining the transaxle too correct?
    sennj66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 03:57 PM
    L120 has a K46 transaxlw that ia suppose to not require any servive. I have about 140 hours on mine. It is starting to slow down and have difficulty on steep grades

The ony solution I have found to fix it, is to replace it. I am considering changing it out for a K66 transaxle. You can find a complete change out kit on E-Bay
    Old_Chipper Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 09:55 AM

The K46transaxle used in the L120 and at least one sears model is junk.
    They are okay for very light use. But if you pull the little trailer or have a large yard; they are likely to quit around 200 hours. If you do a internet search for the "L120 transaxle" You will see what I mean! I have talked with the JD dealer, They know about the problem. They sell no parts for this axle. They will replace the axle(about $900) but it too will fail in around 200 hours. The dealer suggested I drain the trans and replace it with 10-50 motor oil. I did this, it worked for about 50 hours. Then quit again. I opened the trans; it was a mess inside. I found bearing races broken and surfaces damaged. Junk! BUT I have a good engine, if I find something to put it in.
    If you are lucky enough to have one of these and it hasn't gave you any trouble. Before you use it again. Change the trans oil. Get a good synthetic hydraulic oil. To do this you need to pull the transaxle. Then remove the vent plug (little black plastic plug on top) while you have it upside down install a drain plug. Be careful the bottom is very thin. But there are two bosses on the bottom, use the outside one. It is thicker there. There is a man selling a upgrade kit with a K66 transaxle, much better unit. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L120 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a three year old John Deere L120 lawn tractor that has about 195 hours on it. I cut about 1.5-2 acres once a week, maybe a little more often in the fall to pick up leaves. Recently, the blade clutch experienced an electrical failure for which my local dealer quoted a $500-600 repair. While...

2003 John Deere L120 Transmission Replacement [ 8 Answers ]

I think I blew the 4th transmission on our tractor again. Instead of paying through the nose by sending to the dealer again, I was wondering how difficult it was to purchase and install one if you are not all that mechanical ? If I chose to do it, where can I purchase one cheaper that through the...

John Deere L120 Transaxle [ 12 Answers ]

Is there a way to add hydraulic fluid to a John Deere L120 riding mower? Background: it's about 5 years old. This year it is having difficulty going up hills. I thought it might be the belt, so with the unit upright, I replaced the belt. Now, it won't go at all. I believe (is this possible?)...

John Deere L120 Correct Battery Water Level [ 3 Answers ]

The 12V battery in my John Deere L120 has two covers on the top that can be popped off, so I'm assuming distilled water can be added if necessary. My question is, how do you determine if water needs to be added? In other words, what is the correct water level?

Replace John Deere L120 Engine? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having serious smoke problems coming out of the exhaust on my JD L120 riding mower. Constant white smoke that gets worse under load with much knocking and pinging, black smoke at severe loads. I'm considering working on the engine myself as a learning project as I have all the manuals which...

View more questions Search