Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcardozo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Taxes on social security retirement v. disability income
    I am going to file for social security this year, the first time I am eligible to obtain social security without being penalized and to obtain my maximum amount at 65 years 10 months (born 1942).

My disability carrier is having me file for disability under social security. If I am approved, are there negative, positive or no tax consequences to me if I receive disability payments instead of social security? Are the amounts the same?

Thanks in advance.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Everybody that I know that has worked and applied for ss disability receive more than the ones I know on ssi. I am not sure how it would work out for you individually though. I would ask them to show how both ways adds up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IS disability income either from Social Security or Prudential taxable [ 11 Answers ]

Mu social secuirty disability is 2050 a month. I bought (through my former employer) long term diability insurance with after tax dollars (no employer contribution). The total between the two is approx 5400/mo. Is this income taxable and if so to what extent?

Social Security Disability and Taxes [ 10 Answers ]

Can the IRS take any of my disability to pay back @ $16,000 that I owe them? They want me to pay $335 a month to them. Can I have this lowered at all? Can I just tell them that I want to pay $100 (or less) a month? Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Income tax responsibility for Social Security Disability [ 1 Answers ]

I was collecting Social Security Disability before I started back to work last year in Feb/07. When I started back to work I called the SS office and advised I was going back to work and they advised I would continue to collect my checks for 9 months. After the 9months I still can not get them...

Is $15,000 total income from Social Security disability taxable. [ 1 Answers ]

I get Social Security disability for a total of $14,382.00. I received a total of $13,260.00 the other $1,122.00 went to Medicare part B. My question is this, this is my only income do I have to file with the IRS?. I couldn't make much sense of the info on their site, I would appreciate any help....

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search