Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdship Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Credit Card Issued to Underage Teen
    My son applied for 2 credit cards, one through Citi, and one through Capital one. There was no cosigner. He went through severe depression, and was hospitalized and diagnosed Bipolar. He ran up 2 Grand in debt, and is almost 18. We want to find out if he is liable, or if I am liable for the charges since I was not aware until today.
    Thanks much
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 03:23 PM
    If you didn't co-sign I am not sure they can get you for the debt.
    Him being a minor I don't think there is much they can do about it because legally they can not hold a binding contract with a minor. I think they have to prove fraudulent intent before they can do anything about it.
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 11, 2008, 03:42 PM
    This is what blows me away with some credit cards! I don't think they can go after him at all due to him being a minor. I don't think they can come after you, but in the States I was told that some States do have it where the companies can. This I am not really sure on, it was what I was told, so please look into it! It has to do with the guardian having to pick up the debt done by the minor.
    I really wish credit card companies would stop handing cards to minors!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2008, 04:01 PM
    If he filled in an false date of birth, they can prosecute him for fraud. But they can't force payment because a contract with a minor is invalid. They MIGHT be able to sue you on the grounds you didn't monitor him close enough. So I would suggest consulting with a local attorney.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdship
    My son applyed for 2 credit cards, one through Citi, and one through Capital one. There was no cosigner. He went through severe depression, and was hospitalized and diagnosed Bipolar. He ran up 2 Grand in debt, and is almost 18. We want to find out if he is liable, or if I am liable for the charges since I was not aware until today.
    thanks much

Age at which he can enter into a contract varies from State to State. What State are you in?

I believe it's Fr Chuck who said the credit card companies may very well pursue you if he lied about his age, you knew it and you knew nothing. Will they win? Anybody's guess. Will they threaten to have him arrested for fraud in order to leverage you into paying? Possibly.

My feeling is both Citi and Capital One will attempt to get Judgments against him and then they have an extended period to try to collect. You would have to argue that he is a minor and you had no knowledge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
    This is a shady area of the law so to speak, first there can not be a legal contract to a minor, but unless that minor lied,

So the credit card company can perhaps press criminal charges against the 17 year old for fraud, now this is a catch here, since in many states a 17 year old will be tried as a adult, I know in GA they are.

So the credit card company may also try and sue the parents, since a parent is normally responsible for the debts of their children.

Or they may just try and collect from the 18 year old.

Under strict common law, ( first year law school) we learn the story of the minor buying the car and the car place having to take the car back, since the minor can not sign a legal contract.

But here the credit card company is a third party biller, and the actual store where the minor bought things, was paid by the credit card company, So if they credit card company charges back the store, then each store may come back against the minor for fruad.

I could play this out a 100 different maybes.

So best bet, hire an attorney to handle it. But then an attorney will cost you more than 2000 so you may be better off paying it??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Credit on My Report From MIDLAND FUNDING Credit Issued in 1999? [ 3 Answers ]

The only thing I can think off I did not pay off was a credit card I had applied for in the year 1999 when I was in college. It was a $500 limit card, being that it was a first credit card I did miss some payments & every time I did I would get hit with a $30 late payment + $30 over limit fee plus...

Summonsed Judgment/ Credit Card Underage [ 4 Answers ]

A collection agency filed a judgment against me at the age of 17. I have read some of the Q&A’s and the papers weren’t summoned to me or my parents directly. Of course I tried to clear the situation up with the collection agency, I told them that I would have been 15 at the time I would have...

NY underage teen trying to marry [ 2 Answers ]

How feasible is it for an underage teenage grl, 14yrs, to marry her 18yr old boyfriend in nyc? Even if she obtains parental consent, how readily does a family court judge grant approval for the marriage? Also, as some background, child services is already looking into the case for endangerment of a...

View more questions Search