Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glowie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Payroll garnishment -
    Recently I discovered the company I work for "garnished several months" of my pay - in err.:(

I want to know if they are legally responsible for returning my money to me with a small amount of interest?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Depends.

Why did the garnish it? Was it because they received a court order telling them to? In which case, they have done nothing wrong.

Always check your bank account to make sure the proper amount of money has been deposited into your account.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Hello, funny thing I had a few hundred dollars taken from my pay by error from a garnishment last month myself. Must be a round of it.
    In doing it they even violated several state laws.

In may case it was for a person with the same last name ( an unusual name but same last name) and same first initial. But different first name and completely different social security number. The company that pays me just did not check social security number.

As soon as I notified them, they realised their error and they were required to pay them. I hope they can get the money back from the court, but they had to pay me.

So tell us how was it in error.

Was there a garnishment for you that was given them.

Was the garnihsment for someone else.

Was the garnishment valid at one time but had been over turned in court.

Was it a valid garnishment but they took too much money.

If there was not a legal garnishment and they took the money out, yes they have to pay it back, there was also (most likely) a garnishment fee that was taken also, normally each company is allowed to bill a 3 or 4 dollar fee for their time and trouble. There is no requirement to pay any interest.

If you explain more about it, it can help
    Glowie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 08:03 PM
    An old garnishment that was completely paid off is how the situation happened. A new payroll clerk misread a lot of employees files and began taking out monies for old garnishments. Some discovered the error sooner tha others.

Thanks for the response - I really appreciate it. I thought if someone withheld monies not belonging to them they had to pay it back with a small amount of interest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
    There may be a state law in your specific state, that I am not aware of but in "general" no.

In TN they are by law required ( the employor) are suppose to send you a letter telling you that you have been garnished and they will start taking... our on... date. They did not even do that for me.
    I get paid various amounts, so I hate to say it was on the fourth check before I noticed it. I get paid by different areas of money go plus I get all of my office petty cash returned on my check that unless I look at it close I never know what is what. I normally keep a closer look on my check, this is a good warning or notice to everyone reading this, always keep a eye on your paycheck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment in process? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi... New , but in desperate help. I received a Garnishment letter in the mail today for a medical bill from 2003.(?) -2000.00 Here's the thing- I only work 4-6 hrs a week. I go to school full-time and my daughter and I live on financial aide (student loans) and child support. Can they really...

Journal entries for payroll and depreciation [ 0 Answers ]

c. Recorded the payroll, the payments to employees and the distribution of the wages and salaries earned for the month as follows: total wages of $45,000 $32,000 for direct labor and $13,000 for indirect labor) also $8,000 for salaries and administrative wages. (FIT is taxed at 10% and FICA is...

Garnishment in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me for a very large amount on an unsecured credit card. Can my checking account be frozen? Someone told me that the company can freeze my checking account. Is that true? Xhalfpintx

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering is there a limit to what can be garnished? I know that the court can order wage garnishment and bank account Garnishment/freeze, but can they touch my retirement account? My husband's separate savings account? Can they order me to sell the house that is under my husband's name?...

Lagging semi-monthy payroll schedule: common? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all -- My new job has a lagging semi-monthly payroll schedule, which I hate and is taking a long time to get used to. I had never heard of it before and definitely never been subject to one. For example: Pay Period: 1st-15th of the month, I'll get paid: somewhere between the 16th-26th....

View more questions Search