Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa1113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 03:20 AM
    Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement
    A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity theft. He never signed for a credit card in 1996 or any year. He has no records and the call from the collection agency is the first time he was made aware of this. The court notice was sent 3 years ago to an address where we don't reside , so we had no way of knowing prior to the phone call from the collection agency.

Any suggestions on where to start?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 11, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Any idea when this Judgement was made, as it could well be on a barred debt, SOL having elapsed. After all 1996 is 12 years ago!!

Should be a simple case of clearing his name with the court either via SOL or incorrect identity/service.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 04:48 AM
    First make sure though the court that there really is a judgement, guess what collection agencies lie, they cheat, some are just crooks who will pick a person of similar name and try to collect the debt from them if they can't find the real person.

So go to the court and be sure that is a real judgement first before you do anything else.

Also do not admit you owe them anything.

If there is a judgement, several things, first file with the court to have it overturned due to improper service, also look to see if the debt was over the statue of limitation when the judgement was even awarded.

And if it is ID fraud, file a police report on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I'am Currently Experience The Same Issue {default judgement} Can You Offer Some Advice I Don't Know Where To Start... please

Judgement by default [ 1 Answers ]

I was served with summons to appear in court - it is for my wife. Credit card balance about $1,200.00. My wife is not from the U.S. and is deathly afraid to go to court for this. She is here legally though and is a permanent resident. She has several cards that are past and I fear now that more...

Default Judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I entered into a agreement with a creditor to pay off an account I fell late on the payment and they entered a default and a judgement was ordered. I had paid 1,500 so far out of 5,000. They levied my bank account for 1,300 and now I'm afraid that they will seize my car. Can they do that if I...

Default Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in FL. I received a letter from a collection law firm stating I owe their client 10,000. I do owe them, but my original debt was only 5,000. To make matters worse, I see there is a default judgment against me regarding this case. I never received a summons for this. Looking at the...

Default judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New York state, I had a default judgement placed against me because I didn't answer to an attorney letter, I feel I was not served properly, I want to try to get the default judgement set aside. I've been told to file a request for judicial intervention and a motion, well I found the form...

View more questions Search