Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maliaari Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 12:03 PM
    2 W2's from 2 States
    I have 1st W2 from NY and 2nd from CA. I know that I have to use my total income from 2 W2's for federal tax. How about state tax?

Should I use total income for both states? Or I should use NY income only from NY for NY state tax and CA income for CA state tax?

Thanks for help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Maliaari:

You will file part-year returns for both NY and CA. They will both ask for the federal tax info (which is both W-2s combined) in one column, but then you report the NY-for-NY W-2 and CA-for-CA W-2 in the second column.

Attach copies of both W-2s to BOTH tax returns, and attach a copy of the OTHER state's tax return to each state tax return to answer any potential questions about how you reported all of your income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

States with the most sunshine [ 12 Answers ]

I have heard that Washington and Michigan are the worst states for sunshine. I would like to see a list of all 50 states that shows which has the most sunshine. Could you get me such a list or tell me where to go to get that list? Our family is dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Missing W2's [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, Here is my situation. I was working in US from Feb 2001 to April 2005 on L1B. I have got the W2s of years 2001, 2002 and 2003. My two W2's of year 2004 and 2005 are missing. I have sent two mails to my previous employer (for which I was working while in US) to sent my W2's, but seems to...

W2's [ 2 Answers ]

My husband worked for a company for about 6 months last year the engraved wine bottles. When we tried to get a hold of them about sending him his W2 their number has been disconnected. I have tried calling bridal shows to see get a phone number with no help, I've tried looking online for their...

W2's [ 1 Answers ]

I had two jobs during 05, and received two W2's. Do I combine the amounts and file once or do I have do to two separate filings.

View more questions Search