Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cathysbirds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Sharing files over wireless network
    Hi I am new to this forum but I love these things...
    I have 2 computers--one connected through a modem to comcast cable and then my laptop connected through a linksys wireless set up to this computer. The tower has windows xp with service pack 2 installed and the laptop with windows xp pro and service pack 2 also. On both I have firewall enabled but allowing file and print sharing. I can transfer info from the laptop to the tower but when I go to transfer info from the tower to the laptop it says "pathway not found" Any help would be appreciated
    Could this be a virus protection issue?? I have different virus protections on each computer. Also, have not been able to use the printer from the laptop yet... it says it cannot find the printer. Thanks cathy
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Cathy,

I suspect that your wireless Linksys is not allowing outside access to your laptop (by default). You may need to setup the IP of your wireless laptop as your "DMZ" host on your wireless router. This is a long shot guess on my part and what would really be helpful is an exact explanation of how your network at home is setup. i.e. can you describe in detail what device is connected to what port? Specifically if you have a wireless router, a switch, a cable modem, and a tower, how are they all connected and on which port.

Also, if you can print the output of the following commands on the tower and the laptop that would help also "netstat -rn" and "ipconfig /all". Do do that you'll need to click the START menu and then RUN and then type CMD. A DOS window will appear and then you can type those commands in.

Casey
    cathysbirds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 12:52 PM
    OK here goes... I am not a computer wiz but here goes.

A cable from wall to the comcast modem, another cable from ethernet port on modem to internet port on router, and a 3rd cable from ethernet port on tower to linksys router(slot # 3)

When I ran the netstat-rn comand it stated "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." This occurred on both tower and laptop.

When I ran the ipconfig/all on the tower I got(sorry could not print or copy /paste--would not let me)...
    Window ip config
    Node type hybrid
    Ip routing enabled yes
    Wins proxy enabled no
    Dns suffix search list hsd1.nj.comcast.net

Ethernet adaptor local area connection
    Connection-specific dns suffix hsd1.nj.comcast.net
    Description realtek family pci fast ethernet
    Dhcp enabled yes
    Auto config enabled yes

Ip address(gave one ip address which was similar to the other machine except the last digits were off by one)
    Subnet mast 255 255 255 0
    Default gateway --same number as dhcp server number
    Dns serer--gave 2 specific numbers

Local area connection 2
    Description wan network driver
    Dhcp enabled no
    Ip address same as earlier

Info for the laptop:
    Window ip config
    Node type unknown
    Ip routing enabled no
    Wins porxy enabled no
    Dns suffix search list hsd1.nj.comcast.net

Ethernet adaptor wireless network connection
    Connection specific dns suffix hsd1.nj.comcast.net
    Description wirreless g notebook adaptor ver.4.0
    Dhcp enabled yes
    Auto config enabled yes
    Ip address(same as above except last digit)
    Subnet mask same as above
    Default gateway and dhcp server are same numbers
    Dns server 2 differents numbers
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2006, 05:00 PM
    www.networkmagic.com try their free demo it does what you want and more easily, try it out, I did and bought it right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet sharing on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

File Sharing on a Wireless Network [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings to All!:) I am trying to share files amongst 3 computers (one is a laptop). The main computer is connected to the internet directly to a cable modem. The other 2 (laptop & my son's computer) connect to the internet via a wireless connection. All this was setup by someone we paid to...

Wireless internet sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to set up a wireless LAN that connects two computers. I have a D-Link AirPLus G wireless router that connects to my ADSL modem. A D-Link wireless card on the laptop and a TP-Link wireless card on the desktop. I logged on to internet using my laptop first, and it worked, but then when I...

Sharing Music Files [ 14 Answers ]

I am new to the world of sharing music files. I recently subscribed to a music file sharing service for around US$25 for two years. The quality of files downloaded so far is excellent. The question is, is sharing of music files still legal? The recording companies and musical artists would...

View more questions Search