Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Apr 10, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Chain Link Fence Gate
    We need to build some sort of gate to keep our dogs in. The best idea was a swinging chainlink gate on a wheel. The space we are gating , we need to access ir for cars as well. We had a estimate from a contracto and it was outrageous. I saw some 100 feet of used chainlink with a few posts for $75. Am I wasting my time thinking of attempting this? Thanks everyone.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 06:29 PM
    If you are handy I think that would be a good try on your part to do this. I might suggest that you drive around and see if you find anything like what you want for your gate as well at someone in the neighborhood. The part that is really going to cost you is the pipe that holds the actual gate that holds the fencing. If you can figure out how to utilize some of the already existing gates you can buy into your plan - OK. What you think was an outrageous quote from a contractor is because this is a highly specialized craft. Get a few more quotes before you attempt to do it yourself. Unless you have a talent and have previously installed even a chain link fence, then don't attempt it. Properly installing even a chain link fence can be quite a chore as you have to have a tightening device or the fence won't properly do its job. It's easy if you know how to do it (I have watched workmen put up fences and they make it look easy since they've been doing this for years day in and day out).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Also not knowing where you live, but many areas have farm and/or ranch supply houses that have various gates already made,
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Apr 12, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Thanks guys, I stopped at a chainlink company after work yesterday, and I told them my plan. They said if I dug and concreted my own posts, they will build my gates for $300. Load them on my trailer and all I do is hook them on. Istead of $1500, I will be into them under $400 with all the complicated stuff done for me... Your right, pays to get more quotes...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I re-paint an old aluminum fence (not chain link)? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a black aluminum pool fence that is about ten years old. It is looking very tired, faded and worn. Rather than spend the money to replace the entire fence I would like to repaint it. I have contacted the manufacturer (elite) and they informed me that they only sell touch up paint and that no...

Remove a chain link fence [ 4 Answers ]

We are removing a chain link fence. Should we leave the concrete in the ground? If no, how do we get it out?

Chain link holes [ 2 Answers ]

Yes I have some holes in my chain link fence, and was wondering how to patch them, there about 2 foot and are in the center of the fence

View more questions Search