Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Keeping water from seeping in near corners of garage door
    My garage door is fairly new (2yrs maybe) and still has a good rubber seal on the bottom edge (no tears or dry rotting and still flexible). When it rains a lot, there is a considerable amount of water that seeps in at the corners. Is there an effective way of "waterproofing" the door? What types of materials do I need? Should I install a threshold? And finally, how should the door be sealed around the sides and top?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
    There should be a rubber or vinyl drip edge along the sides and top of the door frame, is there one? The bottom can't be made water tight but you can build a small dam on the floor right behind the main rubber seal using a good silicone caulk. I am talking about something about 4-5 " at each side. Apparently your apron is slightly picked in the wrong direction.

Apr 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Yes there is a drip edge (1/2"-3/4" rubber flap) on the top and sides. When you say "apron", are you talking about the rubber seal on the bottom of the door or something else? Thanks for your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 09:46 AM
    The apron is the concrete from the door out towards the driveway. It should pitch down and away from the garage to avoid letting water into the garage.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 12, 2008, 01:31 PM
    You can also purchace a rubber threshold... it is installed under the door and apoxied to the floor. If you cut it in tight it will keep out 99% of the water. I have installed them and all my clients say they were awsome. I am sure lots of places have them... menards has them for around $70.00
    Mike

Apr 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
    I picked up a threshod at menards for $35. Installed it yesterday... waiting for rain :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water seeping from base of toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I have small amounts of water seeping from the base of the toilet around the wax seal. Plumbers have taken up and re-sealed several times once even using plaster of paris to level out the floor. Each time after a few days we see water again. We had plumbers snake out the line, even sent a camera...

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search