Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2008, 01:39 PM
    House fires
    I see some house fires were started at the outlet. They caught fire.
    I don't know the circumstances on each case.

But can a outlet catch fire if nothing is plug into it??
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 02:33 PM
    I have had 1 outlet catch on fire -- believe it had a box fan plugged into it

Not a pretty sight but I believe the fan was actually the cause

In most cases it would need something plugged in to cause a fire

It may be possible for rodents to cause a fire -- not impossible

Maybe started a fire to keep warm -- just kidding
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    In most cases it would need something plugged in to cause a fire
    Absolutely not!
    If a connection is bad at a receptacle in the middle of the run something can be plugged in two rooms away and cause the receptacle to fail. I should make it clear that the connection will fail. Receptacles themselves rarely fail.
    Backstab connections are infamous for this.
    eric34 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Think of your cuicuit as a single line diagram.The hot runs from plug to plug to light to plug ETC.if you have a bad connection after the pigtail(at each plug)then this would be more believable.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Loose Connections Generate heat and can cause fires, can be any loose connection(s), Where plug plugs into receptacle, where wires connect to receptacle, wire connections.
    Loose or worn recepticles should be replaced to keep from damaging cord prongs.
    As far as a Fire with nothing plugged in, if there is no load(and no heat), it can't start a fire unless a short or other problem, a lizzard or something could get between the Hot and the Box and May start something(smoking, Fire?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civic '89 fires up and dies down after 2 sec [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have Hona Civic '89. I had intermittent start up problems on hot weather recently so I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and coil (I think this was the fault) and it worked fine after that. After about three week of good starts now it will fire and engine turn but then dies down after...

Furnace 'fires' Blower won't engage. [ 5 Answers ]

This problem just started. Hile furnace w/ST9120B fan board will start up normally but blower no longer engages. Limit switch then of course shuts it down after a period. Previous posts do not really address a solution or diagnostic check to this issue. I do understand electrical/electronic...

Goodman furnace fires up, but no blow.(new motor) [ 1 Answers ]

The furnace fires up for a few minutes but the blower motor doesn't engage. Then the safety switch kicks in and turns the flames off. You can hear the click of the relay and the low moan of the motor trying to go. Sometimes it'll click on.. you hear the motor strain... then click off, then click...

17.5 kohler won't start it back fires [ 1 Answers ]

My 17.5 kohler won't start it keeps back firing

I have xr3i engine turns but chooses when fires [ 1 Answers ]

My xr3i k reg engine turns fine but no spark form distributer cap changed leads and cap all fuses OK can any one help:confused: :

View more questions Search