Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladysail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Cat at large/failure to appear warrant for arrest
    There is a warrant for my arrest ( I just found out today) from 12/2001 for a ticket I did not pay and failed to appear for in court for "cat at large" (my cat was outside). The officer I found this out from today said I could go to jail for this. Shouldn't there be some kind of statute of limitations for this? I am no longer living in the county this happened in but am still living in the state (Florida). I don't have time to go to the jail several counties away(nor the inclination) to turn myself in. What can I do?
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
    It sounds good left somewhere that arrests people for letting their cat live freely!
    It really all depends on the country that has a warrant out for you, and how bad the offense is. With yours, I don't think you need to worry. Do you have a toll free number you can call to talk to a lawyer for free? I don't have very much education in this area of law, but I really do not think you need to worry.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysail
    There is a warrant for my arrest ( I just found out today) from 12/2001 for a ticket I did not pay and failed to appear for in court for "cat at large" (my cat was outside). The officer I found this out from today said I could go to jail for this. Shouldn't there be some kind of statute of limitations for this? I am no longer living in the county this happened in but am still living in the state (Florida). I don't have time to go to the jail several counties away(nor the inclination) to turn myself in. What can I do?

If there is a warrant and you don't take care of it you are liable to be arrested at any time - or picked up and arrested at a routine traffic stop or some other ID check.

Lots of localities are requiring that cats be confined due to the overpopulation - dogs have to be confined, why not cats - and you must have been in a County with such a Law.

There is a Statute on the crime but not on a warrant - warrants don't expire.
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    If there is a warrant and you don't take care of it you are liable to be arrested at any time - or picked up and arrested at a routine traffic stop or some other ID check.

Lots of localities are requiring that cats be confined due to the overpopulation - dogs have to be confined, why not cats - and you must have been in a County with such a Law.

There is a Statute on the crime but not on a warrant - warrants don't expire.
    Cats don't attack people! Cats don't hunt and attack other cats! Plus, it's an owners responsibility to spay and neuter their cat, a cat shouldn't have to suffer for their owners stupidity! I'm a massive cat fighter, can you tell?

I will never, ever, force my babies to be imprisoned in the house. I love my babies, I have them spayed and neutered and I take better care of them then anything else... that's called love!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Like Judy said you could be stopped for a traffic stop and voilą up pops your warrant from another county. The cop is NOT going to let you go once you are standing right in front of him either. He's going to happily take you to the pokey and let you figure out the next step. It is best to call up the clerk's office where the warrant was issued and ask them if you can pay the fine now (with lots of interest) and have the warrant dropped. If you don't take care of it chances are pretty good that whenever you are stopped in your car or anyone else's car as a passenger and your ID is ran - you're going to go to jail, do not go past GO.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
    No, a warrant has no statue of limitation. So it will be valid till the day you die. Statue of limitation is only from when you do a crime till you are charged,

So yes, if you are stopped for a traffic ticket or anything, in fact, the officer that told you this actually broke the law by not arresting you on the spot and contacting the court that has the warrant on you to see if they want you bought in. You would be detained till they decide if they wish to pay to have you brought back, If they don't bring you then, you can be stopped voer and over, until they may decide to come get you.
    firewolf1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Comment on svatnsdal's post
    What kind of mother lets her babies out to wander the neighborhood? An unfit mother that is who. Cats do attack people. I've been attacked by a cat and so has another person I know of. Also cats do attack and hurt other cats. A friend is currently paying 300 dollars to a vet to patch his cat up after being attacked by another cat. I raise poultry your babies better not come on my property or they will be trapped and turned over to animal control. (or worse if it keeps happening). My birds (my babies) have a right to be safe from your murdering predator cats (babies to you) same as you should have the right for your predators to feel safe on THEIR property from the neighbor's baby (that huge pit bull that thinks it's fun to kill cats).
    firewolf1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
    Comment on svatnsdal's post
    Oh yes and your are right a cat shouldn't have to suffer an owner's stupidity that is why I don't shoot them on sight (legally I am allowed to) and choose to call animal control to trap and return to the cat to the stupid owner, maybe the hassle and the fines will convince the stupid cat owner to keep their damn cat on their property (or inside)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 11:15 AM

You have somehow combined what I posted with what somebody else posted which causes my post to be totally misconstrued.

What is your point?
    humantrash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
    You have to admit it's pretty rare for cats to attack people. Now dogs on the other hand do it very frequently. For humans, cats aren't really a threat at all.

But I do see the point of them not being able to kill someone else's pets (like birds).

It is absolutely ridiculous that anyone should go to jail for a stupid cat. A fine maybe, but jail time? That's just so stupid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Recovery Warrant, Civil Warrant or Detainer Warrant? [ 4 Answers ]

I closed on the purchase of a house on April 27th. The seller notified a roommate (who was "not" a tenant) to move on April 4th. He moved his furniture on April 12 but left 4 broken down vehicles, and 2 garages wall-to-wall with things. He is dragging his feet on moving because he's angry at the...

Arrest warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a warant for "failure to appear on suspended license. Can I fly to another state{S.C.} without being arrested at the airport in detroit ?

Resisting arrest [ 4 Answers ]

Is resisting arrest a felony

When are they going to arrest her? [ 17 Answers ]

So my mother-in-law owns her own realty business and had this secretary who has embezzled two hundred thousand dollars. They received the final amount a couple of months ago. Now it's been a year since this whole investigation and DA had started all this and yet this woman is still working for a...

Disclosing arrest [ 2 Answers ]

I applied for citizenship on April 11 2007,since then I have already got fingerprinted but I just received a letter from immigration department that fbi backgrond check has revealed that I have a arrest record and they have asked me to bring the police report and court disposition how case was...

View more questions Search